Sunday, December 30, 2018

Dec 30 2018 Hebrews 2: 14-15


This morning, I am struck by a few lines in the New Testament reading for morning prayer from the letter to Hebrews. It's written in lengthy run-on sentences, so here's my paraphrase:
The power of death is the power of the devil. Jesus came, died and rose (or un-died)  to free those from the fear of death (or the devil).

I'm struck that it's so clear that in this writing that we are freed not from death, not from the devil, but from the fear of death or the devil.
This resonates with me.  What I take from this is that yes, there is death. And yes there is evil. But through a God that can beat death, we are called to not be afraid. Not be afraid of death, of illness, of evil.  God wins.  Love wins. 
Sometimes hard things happen, and maybe it's the devil. Maybe it's politics, or dictators, or climate change, or the human body gone awry.  But we are called to not be afraid.  It doesn't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment