Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Jan 27 2021 Day 3 Genesis 6:1 – 9:17


For the inclination of the human heart is evil from its youth.

How does this truth about the human heart’s inclination affect my expectations? How am I reaching for God’s supreme love?

This morning, I read about Noah, the flood, the rainbow, and God’s pronouncement that human hearts have an inclination towards evil from youth. This would be more of the parts of Scripture that I’d prefer to excise or ignore; I tend to believe that human hearts are made for good, inclined towards good, striving towards good. I read a great book by Desmond Tutu that expounded on this, “Made for Goodness”. He explained that the reason crime stories are so newsworthy is because its so counter to how we innately are; it’s the exception, not the rule. I’ve spent a lot of time in my life supporting this premise. Human nature is good. I’m loathe to support conspiracy theories, and really dislike crime shows that focus on people portrayed as inherently evil or sinister.

And to be clear, I am not a biblical literalist; I do not believe that every word in the Bible is true as I understand the words. I do think there’s a greater Truth to everything in Scripture. A theologian friend once said we shouldn’t lose the Truth of Scripture, because we focus on the truth. Forest vs. trees.

Having said all of that, if I’m to take today’s reading and not just dismiss it, let’s say human hearts are inclined towards evil. It’s only God’s love that would make us good. If you start from there, then it’s obvious that we need God’s love, because without it, I’d be living in episodes of Criminal Minds, or Dexter. That core belief would make evangelism more imperative – humankind is doomed without our Good God.

Hmm. I guess I do believe that part. Humankind would be doomed without God’s goodness, grace and love. Maybe God’s love blankets us all so what I see is a humankind inclination towards goodness and love. Maybe it’s optimism, or naiveté, or faith. But what I see is goodness.

So what does that mean about what I expect from humankind? I guess I will show God’s love and grace and peace, and continue to have faith that God’s love and grace and peace will make goodness and light where there is darkness and evil. If it’s true that humankind is inclined towards evil, I do not believe there’s any space between that inclination and God’s love, which immediately and unbidden bends us towards love. Zero space.

So what does that mean about what I seek from God? I absolutely need God’s love, I need to know it’s there, and have faith it’s there, even if I cannot feel it or believe it. Without it, we’re doomed, and without it, that space between our innate inclinations and humankind’s goodness widens. a

No comments:

Post a Comment