Sunday, February 2, 2020

Feb 2 2020 Luke 2: 29-32 Feast of the Presentation

Lord, you now have set your servant free to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, and the glory of your people Israel.


Today, February 2, is the Feast of the Presentation. In ancient Jewish tradition, women were in semi-seclusion after birth, for 40 days. February 2 marks 40 days after Jesus’ birth, so it’s the day selected to commemorate when Mary and Joseph took Jesus to the Temple to be presented. When they arrived, the old man Simeon recites this song. He’s been waiting in the Temple for the savior, and upon Jesus’ arrival, says that he can now be released. He continues that the child will be a sign that many will oppose, because the inner thoughts of many will be revealed. Anna, an old female prophet was also in the temple that this time, and added her prophecy about Jesus, that he’d be the redemption of Jerusalem.

This story comes from the Gospel of Luke, the writer which speaks most to me. Luke is very attentive to the people and emotions and images, to all the concrete human things that would have happened to Jesus. I can vividly imagine Jesus and his family arriving at the temple. Mary would have been very young, and just coming from semi-seclusion after Jesus’ birth. I can imagine her squinting at the sunlight, and wandering in awe at the temple, and the whirlwind events since being informed she was going to give birth.

They arrive in the temple and the ancient Simeon and Anna affirm all of the wonderous things they’ve heard about their infant. Awe.

Many Christian traditions use Simeon’s words, known as the Nunc Dimittis, as a prayer for the end of things. It’s prayed in evening prayer, daily. Lord, you now have set your servant free to depart in peace. I have seen the savior. It’s a lovely way to end every day, remembering that we have seen the savior. This prayer, the Song of Simeon can also be offered at memorial services, again to remind us all that we have seen the savior, and now can rest in peace.

I am generally more of a morning-anticipate-the-day person, than an evening-recount-the-day. But the Song of Simeon is a beautiful, and short prayer that could be added to my day, even as I lay down.

This morning, I’m thinking about how to introduce more end-0f-day recounting and gratitude, possibly by simply praying the Song of Simeon. Frequently, by the end of the day, I’m tired, and have lost my sunny disposition. I want to eat dinner, and head to bed. But honestly, there isn’t a day that passes that something wonderful hasn’t happened, even if it is as simple as a good dinner, or no aches, or a good hug from my husband. I need to take a cue from Simeon and recognize God’s presence. The recognition of God’s presence alone should give me the ability to rest in peace, if I intentionally remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment