Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Feb 4 2020 Acts 1: 1-9 Commemoration of Anskar, Missionary

You shall be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

We hear of missionaries and think of foreign, savage, third world countries. People are missionaries in Africa, South America, even Guatemala. But that’s a limiting concept, I think. And Anskar is an example of how our concept of mission is so small. 

Anskar was a missionary to the a people who were oppressed by a foreign power. He worked to plant churches, and to show God’s love to the people but his work would not see much result for three generations. He died with little awareness of the impact of his work.

So here’s what Anskar teaches us. First, we don’t know the impact of our efforts – either our good efforts or those that fall short. It would be very easy to get discouraged when you don’t see the fruit of your labor. Having recently returned from a mission trip, I understand this. While I did paint and build, those things are fleeting. The things we painted will need repainting, and the things we built will be replaced at some point. We may never know the impact of our work. But I’ve no doubt we had a positive impact on the people with whom and for whom we served. We lifted up, encouraged, and loved. We’ve no idea what fruit that will bear, nor do we really need to. It was enough to lift up, encourage and love. The rest is up to God.

The other thing Anskar teaches us is that the mission field may not be where you think. He did his mission work in a place now that sounds absurd to be a mission – the wilds of Scandinavia! Now granted, at his time, the area was inundated with those pesky and ill-behaved Vikings. But it does sound odd to modern ears that he was a missionary to Denmark and Sweden.

I live in one of the most un-churched areas of the US. Perhaps I don’t need to go to Guatemala to share God’s love. To encourage, lift up and love. I can do it on the bus ride to work.

I also have plenty of challenges in my home. I don’t even really need to leave the house, to minister to the sick. I can encourage, lift up and love. I can show God’s love to those with whom I work, play and live. I can be a missionary right here.

This morning, I’m thinking about how I’m called to be a missionary. To go out to the ends of the earth and share God’s love. I’m thinking about how that might not mean the literal ends of the earth, and I’m thinking about how I may never know the impact of my actions. I am, none the less called to serve.

Here I am. Send me.

No comments:

Post a Comment