Thursday, February 6, 2020

Feb 6 2020 Canticle 19

O ruler of the universe, Lord God, great deeds are they that you have done, surpassing human understanding.

This morning, I’m tired, and grateful. I’ve had an eventful first 40 days of 2020, including a trip overseas, hospitalization and commitment of my sick loved one, bought a house and car, and this weekend will move. This is all in addition to a full day-job.

I’m tired, the kind of tired that needs either a long uninterrupted time of rest, or a longer time incremental ease of this pace. And yet, I’m unbelievably grateful.

Yesterday, I worked my regular day job, and then had the great honor of serving at the celebration of new ministry and installation of a new rector at a local parish. It was a 13 hour day. And again, I’m grateful, and happy.

My house is in boxes, and today, I needed to cobble together my last work outfit from what incongruous and mismatched clothes.

I say this not to solicit sympathy at my busyness; I don’t for one second think that being busy or tired is a sign of a life well lived, or my value to society. Rather, it’s to stop and be amazed at all that God does in and around me. My contentment, even now, is a certain sign of God’s great deeds done in me. My peace, in fact surpasses human understanding.

This morning, I’m thinking about the great deeds God has done. And those that surpass human understanding. Especially mine. This sense of resting in God’s great deeds is hard to hold on to, in the midst of a crazy busy day or life. But if I can sense them now, if I can find a bit of gratitude and peace and love, they’re always within reach. I just need to stop and remember. God’s great deeds undergird everything I do, and how I walk through my days and they absolutely surpass this human’s understanding. I just need to stop long enough to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment