Sunday, February 9, 2020

Feb 9 2020 Mark 10: 13-22

Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.

The wealthy man has come to Jesus, asking what he needs to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus responds initially with the commandments. Don’t murder. Check. Don’t bear false witness. Check. I can imagine the man is pleased with Jesus’ answer, because he’s kept these commandments since he was a child. You might even assume the man is feeling a little confident that he’s got this one figured out. Yes, Lord, he says, I’ve done all of that.

At that point, Jesus gives him a second answer. It seems to me that this supplemental answer from Jesus could be for one of two reasons. First, the man has not really understood what the commandments are about. If you read the 10 commandments, some of them are squarely about loving God, and the rest are all about loving your neighbor. The man has kept the letter of the law, but perhaps not the spirit of the law, as he is quite wealthy. Jesus quickly assesses the man’s shortcomings and augments his answer with a few added requirements that for this man, would signify the way Jesus talks about the commandments – Love God and Love your neighbor. Sell what you have and give the money to the poor (love your neighbor), and follow me (love God). Jesus adds to his answer because the man went legalistic with the law, rather than the intent.

The other thing I can imagine is that Jesus added to his answer because of the man’s sense of accomplishment and pride. Yes, he says before God incarnate, I’m accomplished and have done what I’m supposed to do on this planet. Jesus looks at that sense of self-sufficiency and reminds him that, no, you’re not done, and you’re not ready. Get rid of that sense of pride and try again.

I’m guilty of both of the things the man did. I get legalistic about what I’m supposed to do. I follow the laws, without always acknowledging or meeting the intent. I attend worship regularly, and sometimes it’s because I should. I also sometimes think I’m doing what I should. I’m ready.

In this exchange, Jesus told the man to sell everything he has and follow him. I think that’s what that particular man needed to hear, in response to his question, what do I need to do to inherit eternal life. If I ask the same question of God, I don’t think the answer will be exactly the same. My shortcomings before God are not the same as the wealthy man in this story, so the hard things for me are not likely to be the same as they were for the wealthy man. I’m not sure what it would be, but I challenge to us with this reading is to imagine asking Jesus what I need to do, given who I am, and all the things I do or don’t do that interfere with Loving God, and Loving my neighbor. The answer to that question will be different for every person who asks. And we must ask, as opposed to standing before God thinking we’ve got this all covered.

Regardless of what God sees in us when we ask that question, regardless of the stumbling blocks we can’t even see, there’s a bit of Jesus’ answer that gives me great hope. Jesus, it says, looked at the man and loving him, said…

I know that look, when someone looks at you, loving you. It’s different than just looking. It’s deep compassion from friends, it’s googly eyes from a beloved. It’s the way parents look at their children. There’s definitely something about being looked at, when you see that spark of love. This is one of those details about Scripture that make me grateful God was made human in Jesus. It’s one thing to know God loves me in a general, all-powerful, but invisible way. It’s another thing to be looked at by another person, with love.

This morning, I’m thinking about looking at people, with love. Certainly I should be looking at loved ones, with love. My husband, my kids, my friends. But I can also look at strangers with love. The folks on the street, the check-out guy, the bus driver. I don’t want to look at them like a creeper, but I do think there’s a way to look with more love. Today, I want to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment