Sunday, February 23, 2020

Feb 23 2020 2 Corinthians 3:7-18

And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.

Paul is writing the people of Corinth to explain that it is through Jesus Christ that the veil between us and God is removed, the separation between human and holy. Then, with the veil removed, we are transformed into the image of God. This transformation happens, because we see the glory of Jesus, as reflected in a mirror.

I am struck by the notion that it is through Jesus’ humanness that I am made more holy. That I see the glory of God as reflected in a mirror. That image is far more accessible and imminent than the notion that God is veiled away, in a super holy place. Of course, if I believe that God is everywhere, God is in both places; God’s imminent and met in fellow humans, and God is in the sanctified holy temple.

Sometimes I need to access God through the mundane, through friends, smiles, actions of others. As a Christian who believes in the sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist, I am grateful to access God through very normal mundane things, like water, oil, bread and wine. Imminent. Accessible.

Sometimes I need to worship and petition a God who is more grand, revered in big Cathedrals, with plenty of mystery. There is something comforting about praying and sitting in a place that feels like God is just a little removed, definitely not inaccessible, but surrounded by more mystery, and majesty. Sometimes I need to be reminded that God is mysterious, majestic, holy, and maybe not hidden behind a veil, but definitely not mundane.

And then other times, I need to see and encounter God in the mundane. With no veil or pretense, or power or majesty. It is absolutely the same God, but I think the difference is the position I come from. I seek and meet God wherever I am, and in whatever form I need.

This morning, I’m thinking about how grateful that through Jesus, the veil was removed, and that I can access God in the mundane. I’m also very grateful that I can meet God in the majesty and mystery of my modern day temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment