Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Jun 23 2020 Romans 4:1-12


Now to one who works, wages are not reckoned as a gift but as something due.

I’ve long heard about justification by faith, and not by works. As a constant do-er, I’ve always wondered about this, or at least struggled to understand how good intentioned, done-for-Christ actions aren’t what matter. I’ve understood that faith is better, and I’ve had to simply take that as, well, faith. It didn’t necessarily make sense to my constant-motion self. Of course, I’ve not been able to make sense of much of my faith, and have been willing to accept things throughout my life that don’t make sense, or at least things that I couldn’t wrap my head around. 

This morning’s reading from Romans explains much to me. Basically, Paul is explaining that when someone does works, they are paid because it’s due. That’s the problem with works. When we ‘do’ something to earn God’s grace, when it comes, it’s not a gift, but something we’re owed. That sounds far too transactional for the God of Grace and Love without cause or limits. 

Works aren’t inherently wrong. But when we do them, they should be done because it’s the right thing to do, not because anyone will thank us, or because another hash mark will be added to God’s great tally sheet. 

I’m reminded of my sick loved one. Sometimes they’re delightful to be around. Sometimes, not. Sometimes they’re demanding, and say mean things. My actions and support and love should not be conditional on their behavior, especially when it’s driven by illness. I should do the right thing, regardless. It’s not easy because we, unlike God do keep a tally sheet. If you’re nice to me, I can reciprocate. When you’re mean, there should be consequences. Sure, there can be natural consequences, like if you’re late, you miss the bus. But contrived or punitive consequences are must mean, and based on my sense of works. As Paul explains, to one who works, wages are due. You can get your wages, if you do the work or behave as I suggest. But when it comes to kindness, love, grace, and mercy, none of that should be based on works, or behavior. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how nice it is that God’s grace, love and mercy aren’t dependent upon my works or behavior. Mine shouldn’t be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment