Sunday, June 7, 2020

Jun 7, 2020 Apostle’s Creed – Trinity Sunday

I
 believe in God the Father. . . I believe in Jesus Christ. . . I believe in the Holy Spirit



Every day in prayer, I recite the Apostle’s Creed. Every day in prayer I commit that I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. And I believe in one God. 

Today my tradition celebrates the Holy Trinity – a great mystery that when I try to explain or understand, I’m pretty sure I dance through someone else’s heresies. As a deacon who did not go to seminary, or even have a class that attempted to explain the Trinity, I have nonetheless been charged with preaching numerous times on this day. And I still stand. 
Like much about my theology - or God thoughts (theo – logos), my thinking of the Trinity changes as I change. Here’s where I land today. 

I have no problem believing in God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. And that’s a good thing, because I recite it so frequently. I have no problem believing in one God. I don’t understand how that happens, or what it looks like. And all of my previous attempts at explaining that part of the trinity result in heresy. Nothing horrible, but not right either. If you want to see a little more about the ancient heresies, go to YouTube and search for St. Patrick’s Bad Analogies. It’s clean.

So I believe in three persons. One God, and have no idea how to explain or nor do I care to. But what I do have is a deep sense of how I experience that one God, that I attribute to the three persons. For me, when I see sunrises, mountain vistas, oceans, I sense God the Father. God, who created all that is. When I see human kindness in others, when I see goodness settling in, when I see the goodness of humanity, I sense the Holy Spirit. And when I see the eyes of someone in need, or receive human touch I need, when I experience God’s love through and by fellow children of God, I sense Jesus. And it’s all one God. One undivided Trinity. 

This morning, I'm thinking about how grateful I am that I've stopped thinking about some things. I believe in the Trinity. I believe in One God.  I don’t understand how it happens. I’m grateful it does. All I can say is Holy, Holy, Holy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment