Saturday, June 6, 2020

Jun 6 2020 Matthew 15:1-20

So, for the sake of your tradition, you make void the word of God. 

Jesus has withstood another attack by the Pharisees, asking why his disciples eat with unclean hands. He swiftly dismisses their attack by reminding them that it’s not what goes into the mouth that defiles, but what comes out of the mouth. What comes out of the mouth – words – come straight from the heart, and can reflect love, light, grace, mercy, or can reflect evil intentions, slander or false witness. I think in this tumultuous time, we all need to be very careful what comes out of our mouth, as it reflects what’s in our hearts. The world needs more love, light, grace and mercy. Enough said about that. 

Jesus challenges the Pharisees that they make void the word of God, for the sake of their tradition. This feels pretty convicting to me today. How many of us participate in a faith tradition that somewhere, somehow makes void the word of God, all because we ascribe to that particular tradition?  

I’m not thinking about the particular rites or practices that might seem irrelevant. Christians who fast during Lent, Jews who have different pots for different foods. Done for the right reasons, and with the right intention, these practices can bring the believer a more imminent sense of the Holy. It’s hard to forget about God when you’re reminded several times a day with slight hunger pangs. These practices are a way to bring attention to God’s presence throughout our otherwise mundane days. Personally, I don’t think God cares about what I eat during Lent. But it helps me remember. 

At its most fundamental, I believe this sentiment is about Jesus’ great two commandments. Love God. Love your Neighbor. Simple, but not easy. Our faith says we should do this. And when we participate in a church meeting, or ascribe to a certain belief held by our tradition, we need to do that. Is everything we’re doing, everything we’re saying, everything we’re challenging – everything – supporting our basic duty to Love God and Love our Neighbor? 

This morning, I’m thinking about all of the opportunities I have to assure that my faith tradition fully and entirely Loves God and Loves our Neighbors. I love my faith tradition. I need to assure I never love it more than God or my Neighbor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment