Thursday, October 22, 2020

Oct 22 2020

 I've had a long week today.  


Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I went downtown Portland and somehow managed to spot our loved one, within about 15 minutes of riding around. They were wearing different clothes than they left the house in, 3 days earlier.  Sitting on a curb with legs outstretched, they looked forlorn and lost.  Upon seeing us, they wearily said, "can you walk me home?"   I believe they had little idea where they were or how they'd gotten there.  

Walking up to the train station, we learned that they'd taken the clothes out of the trash, and put them on.  They looked and smelled like it, a grey hoodie and black sweatpants, ill-fitting, filthy, and rank. No phone, no ID, no wallet, all of which they'd left the house with. 

Between dropping off to sleep on the train, we learned they'd been downtown years, or 2 hours, had been raped, or not, had eaten at every restaurant, or had eaten nothing. They'd slept in a fine hotel, or not at all.  There was no apparent confusion in this inconsistent retelling. Each statement was true.  As were the comments about the government, aliens, and money chained to their body. 

We got home, they showered and collapsed into bed around 5 pm.  My husband and I marveled that we'd so easily found them, and at what a wreck they were, and we headed to bed early too.  We were exhausted from three days of their absence. For someone with an already fragile brain, I cannot imagine what three days on the street, with no food, rest and lucidity would do.  

At 4AM we were awoken to the overhead lights, but no sign of our loved one. Obviously they'd turned the light on, but then returned downstairs. Apparently it was time to wake up.  We all ended up in the living room, where our loved one wailed, so sad about their pathetic life. About hating life. About how they'd been downtown for 156 years. About how they jumped off a bridge. About how they'd been attacked. About how they called the police and no one answered. Huge, wracking sobs of despair.  It was heart wrenching. We've heard that one of the best ways to think of this illness is that it's the same brain functioning that you and I have when we dream. It's just that we have the luxury of awakening, and leaving that behind. Not so in our loved one's reality. It's one long dream or nightmare, from which they cannot awaken.  

So now they're sleeping again. And we're trying to regroup and rest, getting ready for whatever's next.  Thanks to everyone's thoughts and well wishes, and next time you see someone like that in your town, think about their reality, their exhaustion, and their family. 



11 comments:

  1. Thank you Carter for taking the time and energy to post this, it sounds unimaginably exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s great for me to write. I’m glad it’s read.

      Delete
  2. Carter, my heart aches for you and your family. You all remain in my daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. You teach me, with every post, and through your pain, that loving my neighbor is the most precious gift I can give another person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving our neighbor is sometimes just showing up and letting them cry, right? Thanks.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carter,
    My heart goes out and is with you, your husband and your loved one. The challenges you are facing and dealing with are heart wrenching and unimaginable. I admire your love and dedication and appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share and keep those of us who care updated. I feel relief that you found her and she’s home safe. All of you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristee, thank you for the Prayers and support. It’s been a challenging time.

      Delete
  6. My dear one. Prayers abound for peace, resolution, real and long-lasting healing—for all of you. As a mom of grown women with their share of struggles, I hold you close in my heart. I know somewhat. And I am right hear if you need an ear, a shoulder, or a Kleenex. Love abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carter, My heart aches for you. What an exhausting and frightening experience for all of you. We are praying for you and your loved one. Hold on to hope. If it would help to talk to someone who gets it, I'm here. Judith

    ReplyDelete