Monday, April 12, 2021

Apr 12 2021 Day 67 1 Samuel 13:1–15:35




But Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears, and the lowing of cattle that I hear?”



God has told Saul to go and take down the Amalekites, every last one including the king and every living thing. Saul almost does this, killing almost every living thing except the king who he captured, and the best sheep and cattle for sacrifice or spoils. When he returns to Samuel, proud because he’s done what he thought he was supposed to Samuel hears the animals in the background, and realizes that Saul did not kill every living thing. Saul’s excuse is that he brought the animals for sacrifice to the Lord. Samuel retorts that God would prefer obedience over sacrifice.

Obedience. That’s not something we 21st Century Americans consider a high priority. Rather, we’re ruggedly individualistic, artistic, unique. I’m reminded of the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics in Beijing, linked here: https://youtu.be/TA0ZVxHRxCM. Over two thousand drummers in synch. That’s obedience, and that’s not what the US would highlight if we were hosting. We’d show how special some are, how unique, how artistic. I can’t imagine it’s easier for the Chinese to be obedient innately, but it is a cultural norm, or at least that was our experience when we travelled to China.

Obedience is definitely not a strength of mine. My mother even successfully talked me out of joining the army after college, explaining that I might struggle with following orders, especially when I deemed the order-giver or the order-given to be stupid. She knew me.

I wonder where I do this with God. God says do this, and I start on the right path, but eventually veer off, because of something shinier, or truer, or more to my liking. Sometimes I start gung-ho with some spiritual practice, only to peter out before my commitment is done. Sometimes I follow what I think I’m called to do or where I’m called to serve, and then second-guess my actions. Of course, sometimes changing up the course is what we are supposed to do because we’ve held on to the previous path or practice just a little too long for its value.

One area I’m feeling very disobedient these days is with food. I love good food. I love the taste of good food, and eating good food. And I don’t love the accompanying weight accompanies unbridled love of food. I start thinking I’m going to be obedient to a healthier way of eating, and can hold on to it for a while. But eventually, nope. To be clear, I wouldn’t say I’m struggling with my weight. Rather, I’m intrigued at my absolute lack of obedience to a different way of eating.

I mention food because obedience, or lack of obedience comes in all sorts of packages, big and small. I don’t think God is calling me to skip happy hour with my husband after work. But there is something for me to learn about obedience to God, in my absolute lack of obedience when it comes to good tasting food. Perhaps the first step to being obedience to God is figuring out how to have God help me be obedient to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment