Friday, April 30, 2021

April 30, 2021 Day 80 1 Kings 5:1–8:66




Now the LORD has upheld the promise that he made

King Solomon, David’s son is praying to God as he dedicates the temple he’s just completed. There are pages and pages of descriptions of the temple. It was hard to stay attentive to the description, with all the incredible detail, and some words and measurements I didn’t understand. But I’m sure it was a spectacle to behold, with gold overlayed statues, and columns of fine stone.

Solomon is convinced that God has fulfilled the promise that God made, that Solomon would be king and build the temple, and here is Solomon, crowned king, and in front of the completed temple. God upheld God’s promise.

The accompanying reflection asks about promises that I feel God has made to me. God has never spoken to me about temples, or parking spaces, or even the healing of my loved one. So in some ways, I’m ill equipped to reflect on God’s promises to me. I haven’t had any concrete promises from God that I can assess.

But perhaps more important, my tradition has a baptismal covenant, a two way binding agreement, where both God and the baptized are committing things to each other. This contains the most personal promises that I feel God has made me. These petitions were offered over me, when I was marked as God’s own forever as a baby. Rereading them now, and knowing that I was the ‘her’ at my baptism – that I am still the ‘her’ all these years later, it’s a tender, personal commitment from God.

Open her heart to your grace and truth.

Fill her with the holy and life-giving Spirit

Keep her in the faith and communion of your holy church

Teach her to love others in the power of the Spirit

Send her into the world to witness to your love

These, I believe God has delivered. Of course, I’ve only partially lived out each of these, as I’m a work in progress. Sometimes I’m better at receiving God’s fulfilled promises. But when I can be open to receiving these gifts, God has already given them, and will continue.

This morning, I’m thinking about all of the ways God has made and fulfilled deeply personal commitments to me. What a gift my faith is.

No comments:

Post a Comment