Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Nov 23 2021 Day 235 Habakkuk 1:1–3:19

Though the fig tree does not blossom, and no fruit is on the vines; though the produce of the olive fails, and the fields yield no food; though the flock is cut off from the fold, and there is no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will exult in the God of my salvation.

Several years ago, I sung in an ecumenical sacred choir. It was balm for my soul. One of the songs we sung was based on this text from Habakkuk. Every verse included the dire bits, fig trees not blossoming, no fruit on the vines. And the chorus was an uplifting, “and yet I will sing and worship God.” Unfortunately, I cannot remember the tune, but the memory is so vivid (except the blasted tune), that it continues to evoke chills.

These were not simple little inconveniences. When the fig tree doesn’t blossom, and the olives fail, when there’s no food in the fields, or the herds aren’t in the stalls – these things were the mainstay of the people. Habakkuk is talking about death-inducing famines, and crop failures. They were entirely dependent upon the earth’s bounty, year by year. When there was a crop failure or drought, it had life or death consequences. And yet, Habakkuk says that when those things happen, he will rejoice. He will exult in God, or as the dictionary defines, show or feel elation due to a success in God. Wow.

Few of us live a life that’s so dependent upon crops and droughts and herds. Many of us have never experienced personal life or death events, entirely outside of our control. What a model of trust and faith to think that in those moments, Habakkuk exulted in God.

Most of us have plenty of self-induced problems. The accompanying reflection for Habakkuk is from Thomas Merton, who focuses on idolatry. He notes that idolatry is the greatest risk to humanity. We idolize power, machines, possessions, medicine, sports, clothes, or any number of other things. These idols will end up causing us to self-destruct, as they are all fed by greed for money and power. Merton suggests that the Bomb is the accidental outcome of our idolatrous cult. He argues we ought to be grateful for its creation, as it is a good sign or revelation of what our world will become if our idols are left unchecked.

Many of our current woes, of my personal gripes in the world are probably the result of idolatry, of me wanting things, or status or recognition. Many of my woes are self-inflicted. And if they’re not self-inflicted, they certainly aren’t life or death. Am I able to exult in God during those times? Am I able to see the idols for what they are and get rid of them?

This morning, I’m thinking about how to strip the inconsequential gripes I have, and to remain in a place where I can acknowledge the difficulties of life, and at the same time sing and thank God for what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment