Friday, November 26, 2021

Nov 26 2021 Day 237 Haggai 1-2


Is it a time for you yourselves to live in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins?



Haggai is a small book, only two chapters. And I don’t believe I’ve ever heard it quoted. That, I believe is a shame, as it’s incredibly poignant, especially during these times.

The people of Israel are returning from their time in exile. When they return, apparently they are all busy fixing their own homes, while God’s temple is in ruins. Again and again, God asks the people, “Consider how you have fared.” God’s effectively reminding the people that despite their work on their own homes, because they’ve neglected God’s house, things haven’t fared so well. God’s temple was seen as THE place to encounter God, so to neglect its rebuilding, is to neglect their relationship with God.

Haggai is a book about priorities, about the things we put ahead of God and our relationship with God. I’m sitting in a room that used to have 50+ year old carpet, coal dust covered walls, and cracks in the ceiling. Now it’s painted, the carpet’s gone, and the cracks are covered. Meanwhile, I look out my window at several church buildings, all in various states of disrepair. The one directly in my vision is my own denomination, and there are big rocks that have fallen out and are covered with a blue tarp. I see that blue tarp dozens of times a day. All of these buildings are beautiful, or at least they were at one point. And now, they’re lying in ruins while my home is slowly getting repaired.

I’m not suggesting I shouldn’t be resurrecting this old house, but given Haggai’s prophecy, it’s a little unnerving, how close it is to my reality.

And I don’t think Haggai should be understood to be relevant only in home repairs versus church repairs; that’s just how I relate this morning. The bigger, more universal issue is how do we prioritize, and where is God in those priorities. What are the things that I prioritize above God, and my relationship with God?

For me, I’m pretty good at carving time out of my day to think about and prioritize God. Part of that is because I make public commitments that I then must keep, like writing daily (or nearly daily). Without those public commitments, I probably would have given up. I’m also the person who does better with some external accountability at the gym! Making those commitments that I want to keep anyway is an effective way for me to make and hold time for God.

I’m not as good at prioritizing God outside of those times. Once I’m done with my God-time, I move on to paneling my house, using Haggai’s language. I’m also not so good at reviewing the way my days are set up, to make sure that the way I spend time with God is right for me now. Do I need to be doing something different? Something more? Something more organic? These questions rarely get asked, because once I’m done with my God-time, I’m into whatever comes next.

This morning, I’m thinking about the rocks on the sidewalk across the street. When I see them dozens of times a day, perhaps I can use that as a prompt to help me think about my priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment