Monday, November 29, 2021

Nov 29 2021 Day 240 Zechariah 10:1–14:21


Though I scattered them among the nations, yet in far countries they shall remember me, and they shall rear their children and return.



This section of Zechariah is full of more doom and gloom, breaking covenants, and protecting God’s chosen. God will scatter the people, but even then, the people will remember God. There’s something oddly touching about this. In Zechariah’s prophecy, God scatters the people. But even scattered, God provides the faith and connection for the people that they remember God. This reminds me of the parent who sends their child to their bedroom, but yet loves the child enough to come running if something is amiss. God scatters the people, or God permits captors, or God allows false prophets to lead people astray. But God still loves the people, and gives the people faith and a memory of God. I’m still not entirely comfortable with a God who smites and breaks covenants, but I have a slightly warmer thought about a God who punishes as a loving parent does.

The accompanying reflection today is from Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Life Together, a classic book about Christian community. He wrote that Christ came with the express purpose of bringing peace to God’s enemies. True, Christ had disciples, but in the end they all abandoned him, and he died amongst criminals and the jeering crowds. He writes, “So Christians belong not in the seclusion of a cloistered life, but in the midst of enemies. There they find their mission, their work.” God’s people must live in the midst of enemies, but it’s there they can be the seeds of God’s kingdom, he writes.

Later this week, I’ll meet with the Bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh to explore my next ministry call. I live right across the street from a beautiful old church to which I could be assigned. Unfortunately, it’s a community that feels like it’s on hospice, both by their actions and the situation in which they find themselves. During the steel mill heyday, it was an affluent church, probably comprised of those benefiting from the mill, rather than those being exploited by the mill. It’s a building that probably seats 300, and now, there’s a regular group of about 6 that gather. This, by itself wouldn’t be as telling as the attitude of the 6, who lock the doors when service begins, and don’t want to use any form of signage or media to let people know of their ministry. Having said that, they do incredible ministry in the community.

The community has changed around them, and they haven’t.

They are absolutely like a flock that’s been scattered. This is a fantastic mission field. And I’m unsure of their interest or ability to do the hard work to be God’s people in this tired, worn down, and sooty town. I’ve been thinking about this place as I prepare for the meeting with the Bishop. This morning’s readings give me pause, and cause me to think about this place in a new light. Regardless of where I’m assigned, I live in this community and will minister in this community, and that is exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment