Monday, January 10, 2022

Jan 10 2022 Day 264 Mark 10:46–12:34


Jesus stood still and said, “Call him here.” 



Whew. It’s been a nearly two weeks of not reading, not praying, not writing. Just napping and coughing. While I’m not back to normal, I’m heading in that direction. And I’m feeling well enough that I felt like reading, praying and writing. A great sign.

The Gospels pack so much in, it’s hard to know where to drop in. I haven’t fully appreciated the sequence of all of the individual stories; when there’s a section we hear or study on Sunday, they’re individual snippets, fully packed with enough to get us through. But these stories are all strung together, one after another. It’s only through this sequential reading that I’m beginning to get a sense of that larger arc, of stories being strung together for a bigger purpose. I might start at the Gospels again when I finally reach Revelation.

Early in this section of Mark, we learn of Bartimaeus, the blind beggar. He’s calling out to Jesus to heal him and the people surrounding Jesus try to stifle Bartimaeus, to keep him from Jesus. There’s so much here already. Bartimaeus is sitting at the side of the road, unable to meet his own needs without begging, entirely dependent upon those around him. He offers up a version of what has been referred to as the Jesus Prayer – Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me – a powerful, succinct, fully sufficient prayer. This from the blind beggar.

And the people around Jesus, who’ve been following him because presumably, they want to be more like him, or learn from him, what do they do? They shun this man, telling him to be quiet. You know, just like Jesus would do.

Of course Jesus calls over Bartimaeus. Of course he’s healed. What’s really great about the way it happens is that Jesus asks the very people who’ve shunned the man to go get him. He engages the very folks who wanted to follow but instead failed. Not only does he teach the followers with his words, he gives them a chance to act out his love and forgiveness and repentance, by getting them involved.

This morning, I’m thinking about how hard it is to learn from Jesus, and actually do what he says. It’s easier to just learn in words, and think nice thoughts about loving others, forgiveness, and mercy. It’s so much harder to actually love others, forgive others, and show the mercy I know Jesus asks of me. To be clear, there are people and circumstances where this kind of Jesus-following is easier. There are situations where I absolutely rise to the occasion, and can lead others into the loving action. But there are probably more circumstances where I hear Jesus’ words, and then like the people around Bartimaeus, I don’t actually love, or welcome or forgive.

This morning, I’m thinking about how great it is that Jesus gives me ample opportunities to get it right. After I’ve told the blind beggars to keep it down, I’m invited to go get them and bring them over. Hopefully, I occasionally see the irony in this and throw up a special prayer of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment