Monday, December 27, 2021

Dec 27 2021 Day 263 Mark 9:1–10:45



But Jesus said, “Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. 41 For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.

The disciples have come to Jesus to tattle on someone who was casting out demons in Jesus’ name, but wasn’t actually following the group. The disciples tried to stop him, and Jesus explained why they shouldn’t do that. Whoever is not against is, is for us. Anyone who gives a follower of Jesus a cup of water will not lose the reward.

In these times of division, I’m drawn to this section. How many people think they have the key, the only way to God? My faith tradition was founded at a time when there were huge divisions between the protestant reformers and the catholic papists, each claiming their way was the only way. And since that time there have been major divisions within my tradition, between those who follow a more conservative theology, and those who follow a more liberal theology. There are even single dioceses or congregations that split apart because of seemingly irreconcilable differences.

The time during the split is horrid, going all the way back to the reformation. It’s hard to exert your unique identity, and be who you believe you should be without somewhat demonizing those you’re leaving. And those who have been left can’t help demonizing the break-aways.

While I’ve spent my whole life in one tradition, I suspect these observations about divisions is not unique, but played out through Christendom everywhere.

I’m not suggesting that there aren’t differences, or that divisions don’t need to happen sometimes. As people grow in their spirituality and their understanding of God and of God’s word to them, sometimes there may be such big differences that warrant splits. I for example would be hard-pressed to worship all the time in a tradition that does not believe women can be in positions of leadership, in both the catholic and protestant realms.

And having said that, the divisions don’t need to render the other side demons. I don’t always understand the theology of folks who believe very differently than me. And Jesus says that this shouldn’t matter. Anyone who does an act of goodness in Jesus’ name shouldn’t be stopped. I could disagree with other Christians about their theology, or about their style of worship, but that should never result in me demonizing them; they are doing Jesus’ work. Let them be.

More compelling to me this morning, is the last bit of Jesus’ counsel to the disciples. Whoever helps a Jesus follower will not lose their reward. I live with people who aren’t necessarily Jesus followers. But they certainly help Jesus followers. Maybe their helping, and doing good things is enough, even if they aren’t Jesus followers directly. I’d like to think so, and it does seem that’s what Jesus is saying.

We should stop fighting, and let differences exist. Loving God and Loving your neighbor is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment