Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Dec 7 2021 Day 246 Matthew 6



So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.



I love this. Worry is something I think we all do. And for me, I generally worry about things that have yet to occur, whether it might occur tomorrow, next week, or later today. But if we take Jesus’ words to heart, we need not worry about tomorrow or next week. Today brings its own troubles. I’d even argue that we don’t need to worry about this afternoon’s troubles, either. This very moment, right now, is all we have.

If I think about this present moment, rarely am I worried about right now. Worry tends to creep in when I project possibilities based on now, into the future. Right now, nearly always, is just fine.

My loved one is continuing to make less than stellar choices. And right now, I’m happy and not worried. It’s only when I catastrophize about what might happen as a result of today’s choices that I begin to worry. Yesterday, they helped us with a small house project, and we laughed and had a great time. When they left us, I was genuinely grateful for the time together. Worry creeps in when I think about the bad ‘what ifs’.

And in my house projects, we’re trying to figure out what to do with asbestos floor tiles, and lead paint. About shipping delays, and my non-existent kitchen. But right now, all is good with the world. Later today, I’ll caulk the shower enclosure, and head to the home improvement store to finalize countertop and flooring decision. And when I tackle the asbestos tiles, it will be fine. I’ll call some abatement places, schedule something, and it will be done. I have no doubt that when the time comes I’ll handle it with aplomb. Why worry about it now?

The accompanying reflection is from Henri Nouwen who reminds us that first Christ tells us not to worry, and second, that when we center our hearts in God’s, the other worries dissipate. This morning, I’m thinking about keeping my heart centered on God, and to let anything other this wonderful moment be a concern only when time passes, I’m dealing with whatever it is, and it becomes this wonderful moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment