Sunday, August 4, 2019

Aug 4 2019 Romans 14: 7-12

Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God.

For all of Paul’s run-on sentences, and male-dominated language, I must admit that reading my way through Paul’s letters is affirming. In these three short sentences, he lays flat much of what’s wrong in this country today. Judgement. Despising another. Paul says abandon all of that, as we each will have our own moment of judgment with God.

This morning, after two horrific shootings yesterday, it’s so hard to hold on to Paul’s admonition about judgment, or despise. I could blame the access to guns. I could despise the suspects. I could rail at the mental health (non)system.

Instead, I feel numb.

I will go to church this morning, and there will be prayers for the dead and the suspects. There will be tears. There will be anger and frustration, and a lot of blame and judgment. I will likely cry. Tears of frustration, and a sense of impotence. What can we do?


This morning, I’m thinking about what I can do, individually and in support of a collective effort. Is it something about gun violence? Mental health services and support? Anti-hate education and resources? Institutional racism or white privilege? Right now, all of these feel insignificant. And yet, I need to do something.

I will start by gathering in corporate worship, professing a faith in the God before whom we each will stand in judgement. A God who loves all, and who commands me to Love God. Love my neighbor. Today, perhaps more than ever, that’s all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment