Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Aug 6 2019 2 Corinthians 4:1-6 Transfiguration of our Lord


For it is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness


Today is the commemoration of the Transfiguration, the day when Jesus lit up with blinding lightness in front of a few of his disciples. The old testament reading is the story of Moses going up to the mountain to get the tablets containing the commandments. Moses was up there for 40 days and nights, in the presence of God in the fiery cloud

Fast forward to Jesus. He’s in the presence of his disciples, and he lights up. The disciples are confused, and eventually hear “This is my beloved; listen to him”.

Fast forward to Paul, who’s trying to talk about Jesus. He explains that the light came to earth – the light was Jesus, and that light shines out in the world.

It’s interesting to think about Jesus the man, walking around 2000 years ago as God incarnate, being that light shining out in the darkness. I can imagine that the disciples, and those who’d known the disciples could talk about that lightness in new and exciting ways; it was so different than anything they’d experienced.

Christ commissioned us as fellow children of God to do the same thing, be God’s light in the world. And so to have the capacity to do it, left us the gift of the indwelt Holy Spirit.

There are definitely times when I feel transfigured; lit up by God’s love, and sometimes when I sense God’s claim that I am God’s beloved. Not frequently. But even without my own personal transfiguration moments, I know that I have God’s love and light inside. I know that I am to carry God’s love and light in the broken world, and I know that I am called to be that light and love to others This morning, I’m thinking about the opportunities I’m presented when I can be the light in someone else’s world, when God’s love and light can shine through me.


Today, I hope to be transfigured by God’s love, and to share that bright love with those I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment