Sunday, March 29, 2020

Mar 29 2020 Romans 12: 1-21

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’


Never avenge yourselves. It’s interesting. I’m pretty good at being non-judgmental. But avenge? I’m also pretty good at that, and I don’t think I’m supposed to be.

It’s not that I hold a grudge. Rather, if I’m doing something, and I know it’s right, but I’m charged with causing or allowing some problem, I have a deep desire to clear my name. I want others t know that I was right. I don’t come out and say, “I told you so”, but that’s probably my deep seated motivation. Or I want credit for having been right.

In the grand scheme of things, however, who cares if I’m right? And to be clear, my form of avenging isn’t the more obvious form of exacting retribution. My avenging is more insidious and invisible. I need to make sure they know I was right, which concurrently shows them they were wrong.

As it turns out, God can keep a much better scorecard than I ever could. I should leave the scorekeeping to God.

This morning, I’m thinking about leaving room for God in my great scorecard of life. I don’t need to show anyone else I’m good or did something correctly. I can see those behaviors. I’m not so good at seeing the times when I did something incorrectly or wasn’t good. And I certainly don’t point that behavior out to others. Best leave the accounting of my life to God. God can see it all. And God loves me regardless of whether I got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment