Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Mar 4 2020 Mark 1:29-34

In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.

We are still in the first chapter of Mark, and Jesus has had a very busy time, healing Simon’s mother-in-law of a fever, and because of that wonderous act, the whole town crowded around the door, and he healed many of them too. It’s no wonder that after this busy night, Jesus steals off, while it was still dark, to a deserted place to pray.

I’m not sure if it’s the drama in my home life, or a natural result of aging, but I’m increasingly ready to steal off to a deserted place, while it is very dark, to pray. Recently I saw a video about a group of cloistered nuns who sing beautiful music. Other than the very infrequent medical appointments, they don’t leave the monastery. Instead, they milk cows, tend gardens, make cheese, eat their meals all in silence. Except when they’re singing their sacred music, which they do 4 hours a day. I thought it looked wonderful. Here I am Lord, Send me.

And while I’m not really going to run off to a monastery, that sense of silence, stillness, and devotion is increasingly appealing. My morning time of prayer and reflection has become a version of Jesus running off to a deserted place to pray.

Thinking about Jesus’ days before his escape, he was very very busy, and there were many demands on him. He did things he loved, for people he loved. And yet he needed his peaceful, prayerful time away. He needed to retreat. He needed a retreat.

This morning, I’m thinking about how to build in mini-retreats in to my day. The more frenetic my days and nights are, the more the convent looks appealing. The more the convent looks appealing, the more I need to figure out how to find a place to pause during my day.

I have absolutely no excuse not to find such time. I work in an old, beautiful house, on acres of even more beautiful gardens. The flowers are beginning to come out, and I can see the garden from my desk window. I can see the wonderful stone altar that’s in the garden, where we have Eucharist in August. In the building, there’s a quiet, peaceful and beautiful chapel, where we have Morning Prayer or Eucharist five days a week. Even when we’re not in corporate prayer, the chapel is always open, and inviting. I’ve got numerous places where I can steal away, be still, and pray.

Today, I want to build in more of those times. Today, I need to build in more of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment