Monday, November 2, 2020

Nov 2 2020 Psalm 130


Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice


After a very busy few days, I’ve escaped to the home of old friends out of town. I sleep, eat, return to daily prayer and writing, and sleeping more. Last week, I worked hard on pulling together our annual church convention, and with COVID, it was all online. That included figuring out how to assure the attendees of the meeting were the registered delegates, how to vote, worship, and celebrate our retiring bishop. There was a whole team working on it, and everyone worked and stressed. But the convention, held on Saturday went quite well, with participation from people throughout western Oregon. That would have been enough to warrant a few days of recovery.

Meanwhile my loved one was increasingly symptomatic. The police arrived at our home on Thursday night, in the middle of the night, because our loved one had called the police on us. They arrived, she screamed, they listened, they left, she yelled more.

Friday night, I went to bed early to be ready for Saturday’s convention. In the morning, we discovered that our loved one had taken a glass flower vase and thrown it into the street, leaving glass all over. We checked their room, and it was empty, a mirror broken in the bedroom. At that, I headed off to my 7 hour meeting.

When I got home, I learned from my husband that our loved one was outside the local hardware store, along with police and paramedics. I rushed up there. It turns out that our loved one had first walked to a stranger’s house about ½ mile away, and gone to the door asking for a hammer so they could kill their husband. The startled homeowner called the police. My husband had already called the police and alerted them to our loved one’s absence, so when they received this report, they knew who it was. Several hours later, our loved one apparently walked about a mile to hardware store, in stocking feet, and took a hammer and walked out of the store. They proceeded to the grocery store, where they stole some food and beer. By this time, the police had arrived responding to a call from the hardware store. When confronted by the police, our loved one resisted and threatened, and eventually was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car. When I arrived, my husband was talking to the police and our loved one was sitting in the car.

The plan was to transport them by ambulance to a psychiatric unit, and likely admit them. Being over 21, and refusing to give us information, we may or may not be notified of when and where they’re transferred, although I suspect the investigator will call to learn more, and we may get information then.

Meanwhile, my husband and I have been asked to participate in a parent subcommittee for legislation designed to clarify the standards for involuntary commitment, and since Friday, we’ve both written one page statements in support of the proposed legislation. The current legislation is vague enough that it has effectively been defined by the county, state and federal courts who’ve heard cases about ‘harm to self’, ‘harm to others’ and ‘unable to meet basic needs’. Where we live, it has been effectively defined as imminently at risk of suicide, homicide, or serious injury because of inability to care for oneself.

There is strong and committed opposition to the proposal, primarily from people with ‘lived experiences’ or people with mental health issues. Unfortunately, from my perspective, the people who are opposed to the legislation are not as sick or unaware as my loved one. My loved one may not homicidal, but I’m deeply saddened that I saw them walking away in handcuffs be immediately, an image I will never forget. They need treatment before they are handcuffed, and certainly before they actually harm themselves or others.

And so today, I rest. I pray. I cry out to God, and wait patiently. I’m not at all certain how this is going to resolve. I will take care of myself so I’m ready for whatever’s next.

12 comments:

  1. I so understand what you are going through. The heartache each and every time!! I hate this disease. I would love to support the subcommittee. We need to be able to help our children, loved ones etc. who can not make good decsions when they are in a psychotic state. Let me know how I can support you. Seeing loved ones in handcuffs when they really don't know what is going on is sooooo heart-wrenching. We get a litlle bit of hope that they are doing good and the next thing you know they are off and running. The worry, the anxiety, grief, it can be so overwhelming at times. I pray my ass off for God to give me the strength to do the right thing. Much love my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know you understand the roller coaster this is. I’ll pass your contact info on to the legislative committee. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh Carter, such heartbreak! I've had the experience of seeing my loved one in a squad car too. It's devastating. I am holding you and your loved one before God in prayer. Christ's peace and strength to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s horrible, isn’t it? You can never unsee that image of handcuffs. I do sense everyone’s prayers and am grateful die those who have that unfortunate special knowledge. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Love this. Who knew it would be such a lasting supportive statement. You are a treasurer. Thank you. .

      Delete
  4. Just continuing to pray for you and your loved ones, we are all standing in the light of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m surprisingly better with this. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

      Delete
  5. I continue to pray for you and your loved one. Take care of yourself in these tough times, too. The disease can be so overwhelming. I will pray that your loved one receives the help needed, and that you may be at peace. Sending hugs from Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it can be overwhelming. The good news is that I know I’m not alone, whether it’s all of my prayer partners, or the consistent live of God. We’ll get through this.

      Delete
  6. Carter,
    You are in our prayers as we gather for dinner and in my prayers throughout the day. God does hear your cries from out of the depths of this overwhelmingly difficult situation. God WILL continue to sustain you. Continue to care for yourself SO THAT you may care for your family. Love and blessings to you dear one.

    Deacon Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend. I appreciate the prayers and the reminder of God’s sustaining love. If I didn’t believe that to be true, this would be impossible.

      Delete