Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Jun 1 2022 Day 359 Revelation 1:1–2:29



Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.


In my tradition, when scripture is read in corporate worship, it is ended with a sentence and a response from the people. Historically, that phrase has been, “The word of the Lord”, and the response, “Thanks be to God”. A newer response is making its way into some services. “Listen to what the Spirit is saying to God’s people” – “Thanks be to God.” I’ve appreciated that alternate response because it is both new and makes people take note, and because it is more personally challenging. You, Carter, listen to what the spirit is saying. Yes, of course. Thanks be to God.

Just yesterday, I was pulling together a liturgy for a deacon event for this weekend, “The Life and Work of Deacons”. What’s the prayers, what psalms, what readings, and what responses after the readings. Both of the concluding sentences above were listed as options. But so was, “Listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches” – “Thanks be to God”. I’ve never heard that sentence used, and until this morning, had no idea of its origins.

In this final book of Scripture, John is writing to seven churches. He greets the people, outlines their problems or failings, and concludes with “Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.” I think this has become my new favorite.

I like this closing because of my wrong-headed appreciation of the “Listen to what the Spirit is saying to God’s people”. Despite being personally shaken by the notion that the Spirit is speaking to me personally, when I’m in public worship, it’s not about me. To be clear, the Spirit is speaking to me personally. But when we are gathered, we are more than a bunch of individuals; we become THE CHURCH.

In addition to speaking to me personally, the Spirit speaks to the group of people with whom I’m gathered. The Spirit speaks to THE CHURCH with whom I’m gathered. The Spirit speaks to every group of gathered Christians – to every CHURCH - throughout the world and throughout time.

Christianity cannot be solely an individual thing. When it does, everyone’s personal Lord and Savior is at risk of becoming a mirror of themselves, and in conflict with everyone else’s personal Lord and Savior. We are better Christians when we are required to struggle with the vast differences between us. Christ cannot be everything I personally believe, because then Christ cannot be everything you personally believe.

As a motley, un-unanimous group of people who make up THE CHURCH, we believe in and are saved by a Lord and Savior much bigger than any one of us. And as motley, un-unanimous CHURCHES, we believe in and are saved by a Lord and Savior much bigger than any one of our CHURCHES.

In this letter, John is reminding these disparate CHURCHES, or groups of disparate people, that the Spirit is speaking to us all, in all our disparate-ness.

Listen to what the Spirit is saying to God’s Churches. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment