Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Jun 8 2022 Day 365 Revelation 21:1–22:21



And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me; but he said to me, “You must not do that!



Once again, I am grateful for the accompanying reflection. Today’s is written by Eugene Peterson. He points out that the entire book of Revelation is frequently misused. He writes, “It is difficult to worship God instead of his messengers. And so people get interested in everything in this book except God, losing themselves in symbol hunting, intrigue with numbers, speculating with frenzied imaginations on times and sea-sons, despite Jesus’ severe stricture against it.” As he notes, we mistakenly treat the book of Revelation the way John treats the angels. John worships the angel, and the angel rebukes him, instead pointing him to God. Yes!

Perhaps that’s why I’ve struggled through Revelation. It’s so frequently used as a sign for end-times. Instead, it’s a fantastical image all pointing to the splendor and honor and kingly power. It talks about a heavenly city where there is no Temple, because Jesus is the temple. It speaks beautifully about a place where there is no sorrow. It talks about the kingdom of God. That I can appreciate. So although it wasn’t my favorite, perhaps I’ve warmed up a bit about Revelation; I like it’s true message.

And so ends our walk through the bible. This effort has included 552 pages and 168,480 words. I did miss one day of writing, although I did read the scripture that day. (That was for my conscience..)

I’m not sure what’s next.

I’ve had suggestions about starting the good book again. A dear friend noted that she always like seconds – whether it’s the second time through a book, or the second plate of food. Having read and written my way through, I do think I’d benefit from another go.

Perhaps we’ll tackle another book, although I’m not sure what could top the Bible.

I also have had a notion of writing a book, including reflections about the place where significant brain disorders like schizophrenia and spirituality intersect. But to do that would require less time committed to a daily reflection.

For any of you who’ve joined in this journey, Katherine, Denny, Betsy, Terri, John, Mary, Nancy, Hana, Neff, Chris, Carole, Linda, Robin, Geri, and everyone else who’s “liked” or commented on my ramblings, thank you. I’m always amazed when anyone else understands, let alone appreciates the weird working of my brain. Your support has kept me from quitting, even though the posts averaged only about 6 views per day for the year; support is support.

For now, I’m going to take bit of a writing break. I have a little travelling and celebrating to do, and when I’m back, we’ll figure out what’s next.

Again, thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment