Friday, June 3, 2022

Jun 3 2022 Day 361 2 Revelation 6:1–8:05



God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.


This is an example of taking something from Scripture entirely without context. It happens all the time, and it shouldn’t. Especially when the snippet is used to support a position that is not Love, is not of God. It’s always a danger to do this, because we do something called ‘proof texting’. We find little bits of Scripture to support our position. Maybe it’s ultimately a good proof, or truly supportive of our position. Frequently it is not. It’s a no-no in the world of theology or sermon writing; the risks for confirmation bias are too great.

But I patently do not understand the context of this sentence. The angels are around the throne with all living creatures, and a multitude of people from every language, tribe, people and nation, dressed in white robes, carrying palms. I’ve been schooled enough to know that the people are martyrs – palm branches being held by saints in icons is a symbol they were martyred. These multitudes come to the throne to worship God, and there’s a list of things God will do for them, including wiping away every tear. That’s the best I can do with context. Now on to using this bit to support my position.

This is a group of martyrs; they’ve given their lives for their faith. They were not spared hard times. Their hard times were far harder than mine, or any of us who are still living. They were killed. Having a faith in God does not indemnify us from harm. It does not mean we can skirt tragedy. What it does mean is that God is with us during that trial and tragedy. We are not alone.

Not only is God with us, but God will wipe away our tears. To be honest, I’d like to not live through the things that create the tears in the first place, but apparently, that’s not how this life works. But as a person of faith, I absolutely believe that I am comforted during the tragedy in this life, as well as in the next – God will wipe away my tears.

Some of my warmest memories are when I’m falling apart and I receive comfort. Crying over children’s troubles, or life circumstances, or health happens. And when I’m that distraught, comfort is so powerful. That’s what love looks like. Someone else is sharing my pain. It doesn’t make the trouble go away, but it lifts my burden immensely, even if it’s only a hug.

To be in the place where God will wipe away my tears – that sounds heavenly (pun intended).

This morning, I’m thinking about how to show that comfort to others in this life. It’s a sure sign of God’s love.

No comments:

Post a Comment