Sunday, March 17, 2019

Mar 17 2019 I Corinthians 3:11-23




So let no one boast about human leaders.



This pithy little statement comes after a lengthy story about Christ. Christ is the foundation, or as I’ve sung dozens of times, “The Church’s one foundation is Jesus Christ he Lord”. After this simple opening, the writer goes on to talk about all of the things humans might use to build on that foundation – gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay and straw. All of these things will be tested with fire and some things may survive, but all will be tested.



For some, their works built on the foundation will be lost, but in all cases, the builder who builds on the sure foundation will themselves be saved. From this, I hear that even if I’m the one who thinks of building with straw, if I’m building on the foundation of Christ, I’ll be ok even if my straw building is not.



Paul goes on to say that we, the people, are the temple built on that sure foundation, and that the temple is holy, so are very selves are holy.



The last bit of this writing really speaks to me. The writer continues that we should not deceive ourselves with our self-perceived wisdom. “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile”, and “If you think you are wise in this age, you should become fools”. Hmm. Guilty.



After this whole stream of consciousness – Christ is the foundation – some build with gold, wood, hay – all buildings will be tested with fire – some buildings will be destroyed but the builders will be ok – our bodies are holy temples – don’t trust in your own wisdom – become fools – After all of that, Paul says, “So let no one boast of human leaders”. Because all belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.



What to make of this? This morning, I hear that I need to turn it all over to the sure foundation, to not worry about the materials I find to build. That I shouldn’t feel smug or wise because I know that straw is a dumb thing to build with. That I myself am a holy temple, built by the ultimate Builder, and that I shouldn’t put stock in other human wise leaders. Finally, I should not and can not achieve greatness by outsmarting others. I can achieve greatness solely by being humbly and wholly reliant on the foundation on which I’m built. Today, help me remember that.






No comments:

Post a Comment