Saturday, March 9, 2019

Mar 9 2019 Titus 3:1-15



But when the goodness and lovingkindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy. 


But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless



I’m drawn to this writing of Paul to Titus, partly because I will never take the easy path, and I like the challenge laid down to try. This morning, I’m thinking about two different sentiments from this brief reading of Paul.



First, we get another great underused churchy word, “lovingkindness”. I’d like to see an uptick in the usage of this word. Wouldn’t that be good for us collectively?  If we could actually see that kindness is good but lovingkindness is spectacular? It brings the active verb ‘to love’ into our acts of kindness. It’s not about being kind because of warm, fuzzy feelings or greeting card emotions. Lovingkindness is about that deep, empathetic, certainty that the other person’s well being is directly tied to mine. That’s why we should be kind. Not because they’re family, or nice, or cute. But because their wellbeing is directly tied to mine. Lovingkindness.



From this same section, I’m struck by the clarity of Paul’s admonition that it’s not what we do – however good our doing is – that saves us. I can’t serve my way or even love my way into being saved. I am saved solely because of God’s grace. This is humbling, as a strong advocate of lovingkindness and action. And it’s not that the love or lovingkindness or action aren’t important. They are, I believe because my wellbeing is so tied up in that of others. But it’s still only God’s grace that matters.



And now onto something entirely different. I love this second bit from Titus. Avoid stupid controversies, dissensions and quarrels. Personally, I have a strong stomach for controversy; it’s almost a sporting event. But clearly not all are. So perhaps I should avoid such sport. Sounds ridiculous to admit.



Today, I head to a glorious day of leading a formation day with yet-unordained and recently ordained deacons. We’re talking about personality types. I love the group, and I love my role with them. I’m especially aware of different types of personalities as I read this passage from Titus, and imagine it would be perceived very differently by people with different personality characteristics. If I hadn’t recently immersed myself in all those differences, I’d probably be reading this scripture from my perspective, assuming that everyone has the same impression. Oh, to remain mindful of the beautiful differences between us all, even on days when I’m not talking about personality types!

No comments:

Post a Comment