Saturday, May 11, 2019

May 11 2019 Daniel 6: 16-28


Then the king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be taken up out of the den.

King Darius had been enjoying Daniel, his leadership and his spirit, and was planning to effectively promote him. Daniel’s peers became jealous and tried to find a way to fault Daniel, but they could find none. They went to the king with a proposal, knowing that Daniel was faithful to God, that the king should impose a law that anyone who prays to anyone, human or divine, other than King Darius, should be thrown in a den of lions. King Darius apparently thought this was a great idea, and signed it into law.

Even though Daniel knew about this law, he continued to pray to God. His jealous peers found him in prayer, and tattled to the king. And his signed law meant that the king HAD to throw Daniel into the lions’ den. And so he did. They put a stone over the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it with his own signet. Apparently, the king fasted and didn’t sleep so well, and in the morning rushed over to see if Daniel was alive.

Yes, in fact, Daniel’s God had protected him throughout the night in the lions’ den. The king was happy, and proceeded to throw his accusers and their wives and children all in the den, where the lions “broke all their bones in pieces”.

Really? The conspirators were the problem and deserved to be thrown to the lions? What about the king who was duped into signing a law that only he could be the recipient of prayers?  And then after enacting that law, used it to throw Daniel in. And then, after that worked ok for Daniel, turned his anger to the conspirators and threw them in the den.

I’m feeling a little convicted by this story. Of all the characters in the story – Daniel praying to God, despite the new law prohibiting it, the jealous peers, and the king, I’m feeling like I’d be more like the king. 


I’m more apt to legislate and enforce than many. I’m more apt to follow laws, even when they might not make sense. My husband and I have had many conversations about stop lights or cross walks in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I’d likely wait. I hope I’d have enough sense to not throw a good man into the lions’ den, or not create a law where everyone worships only me. 


This morning, I’m thinking about rules. I’m extremely good and consistent at understanding and enforcing rules or laws. This trait has served me mostly well, as I can legitimately say I’m fair and objective, not bending rules for favorite people, or in difficult circumstances. And that feels important and defensible. 


I’m thinking about King Darius, and what would drive him to create and enforce that law, throwing someone he respected in the lions’ den. I’m also thinking about Daniel, who despite the law, broke it and continued to pray to God. Breaking that dumb rule was what his faith demanded. And that very faith kept him safe through the night. Today, I want to survey my world and be on the look out for rules or principles I’ve established and whether they continue to make sense. And I want to make sure I’m not obeying someone else’s dumb rule, just because.


No comments:

Post a Comment