Friday, May 3, 2019

May 3 2019 Celebration of Athanasius

I’ll admit that I didn’t know much about Athanasius, except that there was a catholic school near us growing up, known by us kids as St. A’s. When I started reading about him this morning, I was not very interested or intrigued by the descriptions of his pivotal role in preserving the Christian Faith. I didn’t really understand the narrative involving his role in an early debate over begetting, the debates leading up to the Nicene Creed, or the role he played in curating the set of books we call the old and new testament. I’m sure it’s important and many people would love to discuss it. I’m intrigued that I’m not one of them. 

It’s not that I don’t value the role of early church leaders, or people who, with brilliant clarity can defend their faith. I simply trust it to be good, and have no reason to examine or fully understand their arguments, when it comes to theology, or context, or history or proofs. As I was reflecting on Athanasius and the write-up about him, I glazed over, until.. 

While I didn’t fully grasp the description of the issues leading up to the Nicene Creed resolution, I was hooked by a few of his quotes, below. 

“We were made "in the likeness of God." But in course of time that image has become obscured, like a face on a very old portrait, dimmed with dust and dirt.
When a portrait is spoiled, the only way to renew it is for the subject to come back to the studio and sit for the artist all over again. That is why Christ came--to make it possible for the divine image in man to be recreated."


Ah, that makes sense. And I’m sure it’s rooted in his theological arguments, but I didn’t understand them. I do understand his explanation. And I believe that the clarity in his writing is because he was clear in his thinking about God. 

And another quote: “What a responsibility the Church has, to be Christ's "body," showing him to those who are unwilling or unable to see him in providence, or in creation!"

This morning, I’m thinking about how different people think differently. Even with simple things like what makes a good beer, we all have different thoughts and convictions. The differing paths and opinions are even more profound when thinking about love, justice, mercy, grace, and God. But, regardless of the path people of faith take, if they believe in God, ultimately we get to the same place. Love God, Love your Neighbor. Likewise, people who are faithful to Christ go through many doors and take many paths. But ultimately, get to the same place. Love God, Love your Neighbor, like Christ showed us how.

No comments:

Post a Comment