Wednesday, May 15, 2019

May 15 2019 Luke 6: 27-38


But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

I read a fascinating definition of sin, attributed to Cornelius Plantinga Jr, “sin is culpable disturbance of shalom”. Shalom is peace, goodness, health and wholeness from God, so this definition reads that sin is intentionally disturbing or interrupting God’s plan in the world for goodness, and peace, and wholeness. Specific acts are also sin, but they are sin because of their effect of disturbance of shalom.

This definition gives new weight and understanding to me about this section from Luke that proceeds Jesus’ laying down the golden rule; do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I cannot control the actions, hatred, curses or abuse of others. I can only control mine. I believe that using this definition of sin, the other person’s actions, thoughts, curses, abuses disturb God’s shalom, and would be sin. But if that’s the case, why would I possibly want to join them in that sin. Why would I let someone else’s sin incite me to sin? Their disturbing God’s Shalom should not result in my culpable disturbing it. In what world would I want to give them that power? 

Rather, I can short circuit the ugliness that perpetuates sin, of revenge and love withheld, curses continued. I can do my part to keep God’s Shalom alive and well, despite others who don’t.

I remember in grade school Sunday School hearing about the Golden Rule, and honestly thinking that it gave me free reign to hold grudges. I’d omitted the “would have”, so it read in my head, “Do unto others as they have done to you”. It definitely didn’t feel fair to have to treat someone better than they treated me. But rather than thinking about their action – whether it’s slight or abuse, or stalking or mean words, it’s helpful for me to think about the effect of their actions – of their disrupting God’s Shalom. Regardless of what others do, I’ve no reason to intentionally disrupt it further. In this way, I wholly understand do unto others differently. And love your enemies. And praying for those who abuse you. 


It’s about God’s overall plan for love and peace and wholeness in the world. I’m not asked to love others because they’ve sinned, I’m asked to love my enemies because Jesus loves me and Jesus loves them. I’m asked to do my little piece to uphold God’s Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment