Sunday, May 5, 2019

May 5 2019 1 Peter 4: 7-11




The end of all things is near.



I must admit I don’t fully appreciate the apocalyptical theology of some. I know that soon after Jesus’ death, the disciples were eagerly awaiting the end times, when he’d return and all would be well with the good God-fearing, God-following folk.



But it didn’t happen in their lifetime. Or any of the lifetimes since then. As a theme, it comes up a lot in scripture, the end times. So I’ve had to wrestle with what it means and what it could mean. I’ve come up with three interpretations.



The first is that the end times, the end of all things is when Jesus returns and judges the world. I absolutely believe this is true, but I’m not sure it will look like the popular Left Behind series, or that it’s imminent. Maybe, but it’s too poetic, too illogical and too judgmental to serve as my go-to understanding, or as any motivating force in my life.



The second is that the end of things, when Jesus returns occurs at the time of each of our deaths. This I also believe. Death, or thinking about death can be the ultimate come-to-Jesus moment, both figuratively and literally. I’ve always been haunted by one of the final scenes in the movie Dead Man Walking where the convicted and admitted killer Matthew Poncelet is laying, strapped down awaiting his lethal injection, when he apparently genuinely repents. His change of heart in the moments immediately before his execution was startling. And I believe imminent death would do that to anyone. I think even aging does that, more gently and slowly.



Finally, the end of all things, when Jesus returns has been interpreted to be that moment when we meet and interact with another child of God. This resonates deeply with me. Jesus returns to my world through my family members, friends, neighbors and strangers. Through people I love and people I don’t even like. I am judged by God in that moment, in each moment of encounter.



When Peter writes that the end of all things is near, he continues with the things we should do because of that. Pray, above all maintain constant love for one another, be hospitable, serve each other with whatever gift you’ve received. Do all of this so that God can be glorified in all things through Christ.



Whichever understanding of the end of things, of when Jesus returns, this is a true and right way to live. And in my world, it doesn’t matter which end of all things is factually correct. And regardless, in all cases I wouldn’t have the opportunity to live differently, so why would I behave as if it’s a moment in the future, and risk behaving badly until that time? This morning, I’m thinking about responding to every person in every moment, as if Jesus has returned, and that I am judged on the sum of each of those encounters with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment