Friday, July 12, 2019

Jul 12 2019 Acts 10:34-48

The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles

Peter is on his adventure, teaching about Jesus the Christ. He’s told this gathered group of Jesus’ message of peace. While speaking to them, the Holy Spirit was poured out on the whole group. The good, faithful God-loving Jews (aka the circumcised), it says, are astounded that the gift of the spirit was poured out “even on the Gentiles.” Hrumph. As a God-loving Gentile, it’s hard to read this and not feel a little miffed. Of course, God the Spirit is poured out on the Gentiles! God the Spirit is poured out on all.

We read this and immediately see the short-sightedness of the circumcised. How could they think they have a patented right to God’s spirit? How could they be astounded? The Gentiles were children of God too.

But think about it. Maybe I don’t divide the Spirit-worthy world between Jews and Gentiles. But I have one. The Spirit-worthy world includes me, people who look or believe like me. People who love all. People who care for all.

On the other hand, the not-so-worthy people would be those who hate. Who exclude. Who harm. Who victimize. And yet, all means all.

God’s Spirit is poured out on all. And as such, God’s providence and God’s working is happening in and through all. Even those who I don’t understand. Even those who hate. Who exclude. Who harm. I have no idea how, but if I can believe God is working in and through me, who am I to decide God isn’t working in and through others? Who am I to be astounded that God’s grace isn’t at work elsewhere? Do I genuinely believe I have a corner on God’s grace? Or people who look, think or worship like I do?

I tend to be less judgmental than many. I don’t get goaded into political arguments and I rarely get angry. During an early argument with my wonderful husband, he wagged his finger at me, and accused me of being “too non-judgmental”. But that means my short-sightedness comes in the form of people who are argumentative, judgmental, and angry – all the things I strive to not be. But God’s grace is poured out on them, and God is working in and through them too. 

This morning, I want to realize there is a direct connection between the things I value about myself, and my ability to discount those who aren’t that. Maybe I cannot understand how, but I want to acknowledge that God’s Spirit is poured out on them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment