Sunday, July 14, 2019

Jul 14 2019 Lord’s Prayer


Give us today our daily bread

As part of Morning Prayer, I pray the Lord’s Prayer. Our Father… Like other things that sink in, parts resonate different days. Today, I’m struck by the fleeting and yet perpetual nature of the ask.

In the prayer, I pray for enough bread for today. Not tomorrow, not next week. Just today. That requires a good amount of trust – trust that today will be sufficient. And faith that tomorrow will come and be sufficient too

It’s a fleeting prayer, but it’s also persistent. Tomorrow I will pray for enough for the day. And the next day. If every day I pray for enough for today, and have faith that today will be provided, I’m gold.

Today, this feels important. We’re 8 days into our trip, sitting on the deck overlooking a lake in Wisconsin, and likely needing to rearrange things for the end of our trip, because our sick loved one needs care back in the pacific northwest. Today, I have what I need. I have the resources, calm, rest and wherewithal to figure this out.

I’ve no idea what tomorrow will hold, but I have faith that today, I have what I need. Better still, I have faith that tomorrow, when I check, I’ll have what I need then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment