Monday, July 29, 2019

Jul 29 2019 Psalm 36: 5-10 Commemoration of Mary, Martha & Lazarus

Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you, and your favor to those who are true of heart.

Mary, Martha and Lazarus were three siblings, each of whom knew Jesus, and were true of heart. Mary sat at Jesus’ feet anointing them with her hair. This was a radical act of discipleship, at time when women didn’t do that sort of thing in public. Martha came running to meet Jesus after her brother’s death, with such strong faith that she knew Jesus could have saved him, if he’d only gotten there in time. Meanwhile, Lazarus was Jesus’ close friend, and upon his death, Jesus cried. Jesus did raise Lazarus from the dead. But Mary’s and Martha’s faith and discipleship preceded that healing.

These three had a deep and true friendship with Jesus, at a time in Jesus' ministry when I can imagine deep and true friendships were scarce. Lazarus is known as a good friend of Jesus, Mary as a model of contemplation, and Martha as a model of service. Their kindness, fidelity and service can be a model of how we are to respond to Christ. More poignant to me today, is that their kindness, fidelity and service is a model of genuine and abiding human friendship.



This morning, I’m thinking about those people who have shown kindness, fidelity and service to me, the people who’ve been my Mary, Martha and Lazarus. I have had an interesting couple of years, with job changes, relocation, stalkers and now a sick, resident loved one. Through all of that, I’ve had my people. Those I know well, and those I only know primarily through my writings. When I interact or hear from one of my people, I’m warmed and greatly appreciate it. And sometimes that appreciation is fleeting. But this morning, if I think about all of my people, all of the kindness and service and support, I have an abiding sense of love, both from them and from God, who is the source of their love.

If I am that warmed by the thought of their friendship, I am on fire thinking about the possibility of being that person for others.

Today, I am deeply grateful for my people – my Mary’s, Martha’s and Lazarus’. I want to hold on to that gratitude and use God’s love in and through me to be that person for others.



No comments:

Post a Comment