Saturday, July 20, 2019

Jul 20 2019 1 Peter 4: 10-11 – Commemoration of Sojourner Truth, Hariet Tubman, Elizabeth Cody Stanton, Amelia Bloomer – Pioneers of Women’s Rights

Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received.

Each of the women commemorated took amazing risks to speak out. Truth and Tubman worked tirelessly as abolitionists, while Stanton and Bloomer picked up the cause of Women’s rights. Now, all these years later, it’s hard to imagine the circumstances each one faced: the injustices and risks. It’s also hard to imagine their lives. I don’t know what daily life was like in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s for women, black women in particular.

But I’ve heard their names so much and little snippets of their story, that it’s easy to get a picture that’s both flat and incomplete, just like a Polaroid. Thinking about bringing slaves to freedom, the Underground Railroad, or women’s rights and these women, I wonder how they did what they did. At least some of these women had families. Children to raise, households to run, partners to support. And given the times they lived, I can imagine it wasn’t an easy life, even without putting themselves out.

This morning, I’m thinking about the grace that all of these women must have had. The strength, and will to do hard work during hard time.

Some years ago, my husband and I were interviewed by a small-town paper about our decision to be foster parents. They asked why we did it. Our answer seemed genuinely easy. Because we could. There are lots of things in this world I cannot imagine doing, and I am extremely grateful for those who do those things, and enjoy them. Teacher. Priest. Doctor. Daycare Provider. To me, people who do those things are heroic, because I could not. You could not pay me enough. But I could take an abandoned kid in. And because I could, I had an obligation to society to do what I could. No more special or heroic than teachers. Just different.

That’s what I hear from this morning’s appointed reading for these strong women. Do what you can. Serve each other with the grace and skills you’ve been given. The women commemorated did great things. So do each of us, if we do what we can. Nothing heroic. Just an openness to God’s call, and a response that serves.

This morning, I’m thinking about my current life situation. I have this sick loved one. It’s challenging, and mostly not rewarding. Some days I feel like I can’t do it. But I’m here and they’re here. And most likely, I cannot do it alone. But I have my husband, and a great community. And most importantly, God’s grace. So today, I will think about the world I have now, and serving where I can, because of God’s grace. Nothing heroic. But it’s what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment