Sunday, November 10, 2019

Nov 10 2019 Luke 14: 12-24

But they all alike began to make excuses.

Jesus is telling a story about a big dinner party, where the host invited many. I assume the host invited friends and colleagues. But alas, the invited start making excuses for not joining. In response, the host invites the poor, crippled and lame and blind. These were not presumably the host’s friends and colleagues. But because those originally invited wouldn’t come, the host invites people deemed ‘the other’ by society.

Jesus is saying something about the nature of the invited, who don’t recognize the importance of the invitation, even though they’re the insiders. Those invited didn’t choose to be insiders, but chose to be out. Conversely, the outsiders didn’t choose to be outsiders, but were invited in.

This is more than a parable from 2000 years ago. I’ve seen it in action. I’m reminded of a foot washing I was involved with, in Seattle. In conjunction with a homeless service event downtown, a group of church folk washed the feet of hundreds of homeless. It was not a religious event, and I think we may have been the only faith-based providers. We weren’t identified as faith-based, and no one was personally recognizable as clergy – no clergy attire, just team T-shirts, like the hundreds of other providers. It was awkward but meaningful work. Most startling to me was the number of times when the poor, crippled, lame and blind recognized God’s work. “Do you know that Jesus did this? This is God’s work”.

It definitely felt like God’s work, in amongst the angry, ill, confused, strung out.

Contrast that with the annual foot washing, conducted annually at church the week before Easter. Generally, that is done with the people from the church. In Jesus’ story, it’s the invited guests. Some find something else to do, so they’re no where to be found during that intimate part of the service. Others participate, and look awkward. Some participate, as if out of a sense of obligation, or piety. Some participate and recognize Jesus’ service and love, although by my assessment, not many. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how it’s the outsiders who recognize the invitation, more than the invited. This is challenging, as I try to be an insider. Am I at risk of missing the invitation, or of deciding I have something more important to do? How will I recognize the invitation, and its meaning, any more than the invited guests in Jesus’ story?

Today, I hope to actively try to be an insider to the ultimate host, but I also hope to recognize that my insider-ness puts me at greater risk of taking for granted the hosts’ hospitality and offer to grace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment