Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Nov 12 2019 Psalm 78

But they did not stop their craving, though the food was still in their mouths.

This parable is a quick account of God’s persistent love of God’s people, despite their wayward ways. It tells of people who didn’t follow God, even though God had saved their ancestors from Egypt. He split open the seas and let the people walk through. They complained while wandering. Yes, God can split waters, but can he feed us? So God fed them, and “so mortals ate the bread of angels”. The psalmist says they ate their fill. And yet..

They did not stop their craving, though the food was still in their mouths. It sounds absurd, right? To crave means both to want something and to beg for something. With the food in their mouth, they’re begging for more. Maybe they were begging out of fear of the food drying up. Or maybe they were begging for more, even though they had food enough. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how easy it is to want more either out of a need for excess, or a sense of impending scarcity, despite all being well now. I have everything I need. But that doesn’t stop me from craving more. My personal cravings tend towards rich and interesting foods, experiences, and gadgets. Of course I have enough of all of those. But with enough, I still want more. There’s always something new, better, different that I should pursue.

My bigger downfall is to crave things because of a sense of impending scarcity. Yes, I have enough now, but I should hoard things because there may not be enough tomorrow. For me, this isn’t so much about tangible things, as it is about a sense of calm. I crave certainty about tomorrow’s peace, when right this second, I have deep peace. Isn’t that enough? More important, isn’t it largely mine to obtain?

This moment, I have peace because I’ve decided to, and God willing, I’ve got it. My house is quiet, the coffee is hot, the thoughts are flowing. Later this morning, I’ll ride my bike to work, spend the day doing work I love, and then come home to cook and feed my family wonderful food already awaiting me in the refrigerator. At each of those moments, I can and should be able to find peace. Who knows what drama I’ll face in the midst of that? I’m not suggesting there won’t be, but I do know that at this red hot moment, I’m at peace. Leave it there. I do not need to crave it for the future. I need to have it now. And now. And now. All day long.

Today, I hope to remember that I do not need to, nor should I crave anything. At this moment, I have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment