Friday, November 15, 2019

Nov 15 2019 I Maccabees 1: 41-63

But many in Israel stood firm and were resolved in their hearts not to eat unclean food.

Previously in this reading, we hear about the king who ordered everyone to keep his laws – profane the Sabbath, not circumcise sons, sacrifice unclean animals – all the things the devout Jews knew to be wrong. It says that many followed the king’s commands, but many in Israel stood firm. They resolved to follow God and God’s laws, as they understood them. It reports that they chose rather to die, than to be defiled by food, or to profane God’s covenant. And, it says, the did die for their choices.

Later in the Gospels we hear Jesus tell people that it’s not what goes in the mouth that defiles, but what comes out. Peter later dreams of all sorts of unclean animals and is assured by God that what God has made is not unclean. So what are we to make of this bit where the good guys in Scripture are, in fact, held up for not eating unclean food? 

This morning, I’m thinking about how my understanding of God and God’s call has changed over time, and how I believe humanity’s understanding of God has changed over time as well. In addition, the context has changed since Maccabees was written.

I don’t think this is an instance where we should think the writers of the story or the characters in the story were wrong, or short sighted. Rather, given the time, their stance on unclean food was paramount to their understanding of God. To break those rules meant that they were breaking God’s law. The actions they took that caused their deaths – refusing to eat unclean animals – was profaning God. At least it was one very tangible way they professed their faith and trust in God. To be asked to disregard their laws, was to be asked to disregard God.

Their understanding of profane food - of what God wanted - has since been shown, either because of context, or a changing understanding, to be no longer useful.

As Jesus said and Peter later understood from God, food isn’t inherently unclean. But having said that, I have, at times, fasted from meat or sweets. They are not unclean, and my withholding meat doesn’t inherently make me cleaner. But sometimes, food rules help me remember God. Hunger is a powerful, unbidden cue that can refocus my thoughts towards God.

I wonder how my understanding of God, and what God seeks from us will be shown to be irrelevant, because of context or a changing understanding of God. To me, that’s a perfect reason to keep it simple. Love God. Love your neighbor. If I hold on to those two simple laws, I believe I’ll be able to stay focused on what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment