Saturday, November 16, 2019

Nov 16 2019 Matthew 16: 21-28

You are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.

And so Jesus rebukes Peter, for trying to tell a different narrative, or for trying to convince Jesus he doesn’t really need to go to Jerusalem to be killed. Of course I don’t blame Peter. Anyone who has a friend doing something that will hurt them, and seemingly doing it willingly, of course you’d try to stop them. Friends don’t let friends drive drunk. We try to keep your friends of harm’s way.

Since we think we know how the story ends, we think we can understand. Jesus is heading off to do God’s will. Peter seems to be thwarting that. And since we know that Jesus is the star of this show, what he says must make the most sense, right? But as a friend, I absolutely understand. I’d try to get between my friends and a seemingly dangerous choice. If I really think about the story and Peter’s response, I’m thinking I’d do the same thing. And would probably still, even if I knew the rest of the story, even if I knew Jesus was fully divine. He was also fully human, so maybe keeping around a little longer on his human journey would have helped. Besides, if I was a friend, I’d miss him. For all these reason, I think I’m with Peter.

And in response to Peter’s well-intentioned and rational plea, we hear that Jesus rebuked him. Rebuke is another word we don’t use much. Rebuke is to express sharp criticism or disapproval. I imagine someone cowering, after being rebuked, putting their hands up, or slumping their shoulders. And Jesus rebukes Peter.

Not only that, he says to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”. Given Jesus’ fully divine nature, he’s not talking theoretically. He’s experienced Satan, and now he references Satan, while looking at Peter his friend. Get behind me Satan. You are looking at human things, but not divine things.

Since Peter was in fact, not divine, I’m not surprised he was looking at human things. We, humans, all tend to look at human things. What Jesus is asking Peter is to look at divine things. Because I know this story, I know Peter remains his friend and this story ends up all right, after some nasty plot twists. As with the other nasty plot twists, I read this “Get behind me, Satan” bit, and can stand with Jesus. Of course, Peter was a stumbling block. Of course, Jesus needed to go to Jerusalem. But if I’m honest, I only get there by a quick and superficial read of this story. And by skipping ahead to the end of the book.

This morning, I’m thinking about Peter, bewildered, human, friend, rebuked. This morning, I ache for this friend of Jesus, trying to protect him, trying to hold on to him a little longer. And in return for these efforts, he’s rebuked and a reference is made that Satan’s behind his actions.

How are we to go through this world, fully human, with friends we want to protect, stories we want to narrate better? Yes, our friends may not be fully divine, but that doesn’t make us any less fully human, doesn’t make Peter any less fully human. I wonder how we are to discern between when we’re acting as Satan’s worldly stumbling blocks versus our own human best intentions, without a sharp rebuke from Jesus. I genuinely am stumped. I’d love to believe that the Holy Spirit, ever present, will help and guide. And that requires a level of stillness and attentiveness I reach less frequently than I’d like. Today, I’ll try to find that gentler and ever-present Spirit to help guide me through my day. That’s way better than a rebuke from Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment