Thursday, November 21, 2019

Nov 21 2019 I Chronicles 15: 16-25 Commemoration of William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, and John Mehrbecke


David also commanded the chiefs of the Levites to appoint their kindred as the singers to play on musical instruments, on harps and lyres and cymbals, to raise loud sounds of joy.


Tallis, Merbecke and Byrd were musicians in the 1500’s. Their sacred music enriched the worship of their times, and still does. In choirs, And in choirs, I’ve benefitted from their gifts, by having sung prayerful tunes.

One of the appointed readings for commemorating them is a reading from Chronicles, where, In the middle of everything else David had going on, he made sure there was music. He appointed music makers and music conductors, to accompany and go before the ark of God, or the container that held the 10 Commandments, which they lugged around as the presence of God.

Like the sense of smell, singing is a very powerful memory-holder for me. There are songs I hear, when I can immediately be transported back to another time. There was a time, when the parents of many of my friends died. I participated in memorial services with music. And although later, I could not tell you what music was played or sung at any of their services, when I hear them now, I immediately know. I am in that choir loft, with tears of empathy.

Or who hasn’t been transported by a song that takes them back to their high school or college days? This is why ‘oldies’ stations (or playlists) thrive. We remember when…

Listening to music fills my soul. And even more, I’m moved when I make music, singing or playing. Currently, I’m not doing either, and I miss it. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how I might make room to make music. Time passes differently when I’m playing or singing, and all cares genuinely go away during that time. My life now is full and complicated, and it feels nearly impossible to eek out time for something else. But because I know that it deeply feeds my soul, I also know I need to reintroduce music-making. Today, I’ll think about how.

No comments:

Post a Comment