Monday, December 30, 2019

Dec 30 2019 Mark 16: 14-20

And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs.


Jesus has died, and the eleven remaining disciples are hiding, afraid for their lives. Their leader, the one who they thought was going to kick the occupying Romans to the curb, has just been executed by the very Romans he was to defeat. The disciples are afraid that they put their money on the wrong horse; they were well known as Jesus’ disciples, and he seemingly was defeated. They don’t yet understand that he actually won the war; all they know is that he lost this battle, and lost his life.

They’re hiding, afraid, and doubting the faith they placed in this dead, ineffective Messiah. It’s a low moment for them, unsure what they’re going to do next. It’s at that low moment that the risen Jesus appears, and comforts them. No, actually, he chides them harshly for their disbelief.

But for whatever reason, that worked. After their rebuke, Jesus commissioned them to go out and spread the good news. And they did! But they were not alone. The reading says that the Lord affirmed what they did, traveling with them and showing signs, which in some translations is ‘miracles’.

Lately, I’ve struggled with the concept or reality of miracles. It’s not that I don’t think God can perform miracles. But I don’t think it’s entirely up to me and my praying. I do like the notion of being accompanied by God, who shows signs. This I can get behind.

The interesting thing about signs is that it’s easy to miss them for opposite reasons. On one hand, we miss them because we’re oblivious. We aren’t looking. We’re not expecting them, and we miss them entirely. On the other hand, we become accustomed to them, used to them, expect them, nonplused by them, and we miss them because they become routine.

I am not planning to go to Guatemala and see God’s miracles. Maybe that will happen, but I’m a little jaded right now. But I do hope to see signs of God’s action in the world. Maybe those signs will precede me, paving the way. Or maybe they’ll be in my wake.

This morning, I’m thinking about watching for signs of God’s action in the world. Seeing them, naming them, sharing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment