Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Dec 31 2019 Matthew 8:1-17

“Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you.”


This section of Matthew is a litany of healings. Jesus heals the leper, and he heals Peter’s mother-in-law. After these big three healings, we read that he healed many who were demon-possessed with a word, and all who were sick.

In the midst of this string of healings, he heals the Centurion’s servant. The Centurion is a Roman soldier, part of the occupying force – clearly seen as the oppressor. This soldier comes to Jesus and acknowledges that like Jesus, he is under authority of others, and has authority over others. He asks Jesus to heal his servant, with only his word. Jesus’ response is that because of the soldier’s faith, his servant will be healed.

The reflection for the pre-mission trip focuses on being under God’s authority and speaking and ministering under that authority. With that authority, we have immense power to heal and bring God’s Good News.

I fully believe that it is only God’s authority I can do any ministering. As a baptized Christian, I am commissioned to seek and serve Christ in all people, strive for justice and peace, proclaim the Gospel in word and deed. We all are commissioned to do that in our baptism. We all have committed to act under God’s authority to do God’s work. Also, in my tradition, I am ordained (or ordered) to do special ministries. Serve the widow and the poor. Bring the needs of the church in to the world, and the needs of the world into the church. I absolutely believe I am squarely under God’s authority, and my power and effectiveness comes from the power and authority conferred to me, as a baptized and ordained Christian.

I also understand that I am a mere mortal, as are all of the well-intentioned people with whom I live, work and travel. Sometimes we get it wrong, believing we are working under God’s authority or on God’s behalf, when it’s really our own will. In my experience, it is easier for me to recognize that slip in other people much easier in others, than in me.

I also bristle at the notion that prayer and subservience to God will heal all illnesses, and trample all demons. I have a sick loved one who’s in crisis now, and they are incredibly unhappy and making dangerous choices. This is not because of anything they did, and their illness is not because of anything I did, or am not doing. Nor is it God’s will that this is happening.

I believe God’s healing touch, my prayer, the power of darkness, flickering light – all of the spiritual things in and around my life are part of a big arc. It’s part of a big story that started a long time ago, long before I was born. And its ending is long after I’m gone. It’s as MLK said, “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice”.



This morning I’m thinking about my God-granted authority to help bend that arc of the moral universe. From where I stand, my impact may be imperceptible, since the arc is long; I can’t see that the earth is round from where I stand, because it’s so big, and I’m so small. But the earth is round. The arc of God’s kingdom bends toward Love. My job, all of our jobs is to bend our little bit, even if we cannot see it. Even if miracles are infrequent, and healing doesn’t come. Still we are commissioned and ordained to share God’s love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment