Wednesday, May 13, 2020

May 13 2020 Commemoration of Frances Perkins – Ephesians 4:25-5:2

Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. 



Frances Perkins was the first female appointed to a presidential cabinet, serving as FDR’s Secretary of Labor. Her role meant she was instrumental in the creation of the New Deal. She tirelessly fought for injustices stemming from industrialization, and the recession. She also is known for having relied heavily on her faith and faith traditions to guide her work and strengthen her soul. Even in the midst of her busy world, she took time monthly to make a retreat at a local abbey.

As a fellow Episcopalian, female, and public servant for years, I’m intrigued by the role Perkins’ faith played in her work. Now that I work for the church, the connection between my faith and my job is easier to point to. And I do feel that my faith played a large part in my work as a public servant. While faith-in-action working directly for the Church is important, faith-in-action is critical for everyone who’s not working for the church. That’s how God’s good news is spread, by all of the faithful doctors, garbage men, public servants, and moms. The notion that there are jobs that don’t promote God’s kingdom makes no sense to me, if the job is held by a person of faith. There is always an opportunity to show God’s love, mercy, justice and grace.

I’m also intrigued this morning in the New Deal. It was a series of government programs designed to address poverty, unemployment, protect farms, and regulate the disparity between uber wealthy and everyone else. I wonder if there’s any such notion being contemplated, to help us out of the crushing impact of this pandemic.

The New Deal was exciting because it was comprehensive and because it implemented things that had never been done, and possibly not conceived before it was needed. What will faithful people imagine as we try to recover? Where will those conversations take place?

As we all try to figure out how to recover, my fear is that we’ll try to simply try to get back on the horse off of which we fell. We’ll seek to return to what was. And by doing that, we’ll significantly narrow our vision on the next New Deal. I am not suggesting that we’ll have a series of federal programs, although it’s possible. But I do think that we’d be better off spending some of this quiet separated time to think about what we really need. What do workers need? Employers? The church? I’m not at all sure that it’s what we had.

This morning, I’m thinking about my faith and my job, the New Deal, and how to dream and imagine a new future, rather than a hand-me-down past. I believe people of faith will need to bring the Good News of God’s love into every corner of our world, as we imagine what’s next. If we can do that, I believe we’ll be a little closer to God’s dream for us, rather than the nightmare we’re in. As we pray the Lord’s prayer, I hope to remember that I’ve got a role in “thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven”. What’s your role?

No comments:

Post a Comment