Saturday, May 30, 2020

May 30 2020 Ephesians 6:10-24

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

This little passage precedes a more familiar passage from Ephesians that outlines the whole armor of God, with the belt of truth and breastplate of truth. But this little passage has helped me more than any breastplate. Having done all, stand. 

When I’ve done what I can, whether it’s with my mentally ill stalker or my sick loved one, when I’ve done all, stand. 

Standing isn’t passive. It’s a strong stance. It requires stamina, and resolve. There have been times I’ve wanted to run, or argue, or reiterate, or give in. The stronger, better action frequently is to stand. I imagine a snag in a fast moving creek. To stay in one place in the midst of the current takes strength. How much easier to go with the flow, literally. 

Now, in addition to fighting with this pandemic and the economic outfall, our country is flaring up with insidious, ever-present racial tensions. With a brown child, and previous work for the police, I know this is not an issue conveniently attributed to black vs. blue; it’s about all of us. 

I know it’s wrong to judge, or hire, or sentence, or go to the other side of the street because of the color of someone’s skin. I know it’s wrong to be complicit in systems that have perpetuated racism. I know it’s wrong to set fire to people’s offices, and smash property. I know it’s wrong to be angry at one segment of our population, whether it’s because of the color of their skin, or the color of their uniform. I know I’m the product of white privilege. 
And having said all that, I also know I don’t know what I can personally do. Maybe it’s back to my trusty phrase from Ephesians. To stand. 

I’m imagining MLK marching. He didn’t back down. He didn’t shy away from the front lines. He preached the Gospel in very public settings, without ever saying God or Jesus, but he spoke with a moral authority that was undeniable. Many others stood with him. They stood in the face of racism and violence. I’m also thinking about Gandhi, who peacefully stood in the face of racism. With his peaceful protests, with his refusal to exact justice himself, he disarmed many of his opponents, simply by his willingness to stand. 

I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what to do. But I know this has to stop. And I am incredibly stubborn, just like that branch in the stream. Just stand. 

This morning, I’m thinking about the power of standing. Standing in solidarity. Standing between peaceful and violent protests. Taking a stand. Preaching the Gospel with the moral authority that only comes from God. I do not want to be a part of angry rallies, or marches, or other things that provoke more violence and hatred. I want this to stop. Maybe the way is to stop the actions and counter-actions, and to stop the motion and commotion. Maybe we need to be witnesses of God’s love in all the scary and scared places. Maybe we need to stand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment