Thursday, May 21, 2020

May 21 2020 Hebrews 2: 5-18

[T]hrough death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and
free those who all their lives were held in slavery



A few weeks ago, my sick loved one and I made a video where they explained what it was like to have a mind disorganized by schizophrenia. Over 1000 people viewed the video, with mostly positive comments. It was a wonderful time, and my husband and I used this great time to talk further with them about how we might help in the future. A week ago, we were going to make another video, possibly focusing on what it was like to have the voices, and how they interacted and affected our loved one. 

But unfortunately this disease does not move in a linear fashion. The next day, they were clearly being tormented by those very voices that just the day before were comforting. It’s been five days, and they continue to be having an “episode” as they referred to it. We’ve shared few more than a dozen words, always contentious, or dismissed. I heard from a mutual friend that they shared on their social media a message that they were their ex’s devils, and more heartbreaking two word post. “Get out”. 

So when Paul talks about freeing us from the devil, I want that. Now. Not for me, but for my loved one. Now. In the course of 10 days, we are in an entirely different place as a family, and even more critical, they are in a more critical place as a person. 

When people saw the upbeat video, I heard many congratulations. Great job. Glad you’re doing so well. Knowing the trajectory of this illness, I knew it was not likely a forever space. And now that the moment is gone, I mourn. 

Back to Paul. Later in this same passage, Paul writes that because Jesus was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. I definitely feel tested, as I fret and watch my loved one suffer. I fully believe my faith in God lightens my burden a little bit. I believe tonight will come, and I will have done my best. And there will be things to be grateful for. Jesus, because of his suffering, is able to help me. 

This morning, I’m thinking about what it looks like for Jesus to help the suffering of my sick loved one. They are definitely being tested, and absolutely feeling the presence of the devil. I don’t know if in their scattered and dark brain, if they can sense God’s presence. 
I believe God can defeat the devil. I believe God can defeat all powers of darkness. But to be honest, I’m not sure about schizophrenia. I don’t know what it looks like for God to defeat schizophrenia. 

2 comments:

  1. Schizophrenia is such a complex, devastating disease, and my heart goes out to your family as you try to maneuver your way through. I think about your loved one and how frightening this must be for them. For me, it is impossible to even imagine not having control over my thoughts and actions. I pray for some sort of peace and understanding (and maybe a break in the medical treatment). Keep the faith, Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    Thank you. Yes, it's a horrid disease. I pray for peace, understanding and treatment!!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete