Wednesday, May 6, 2020

May 6 2020 Book of Common Prayer – Prayer for our Country

Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way.



In my faith tradition, we use a common prayer book. Some would argue that makes us stodgy, and as if we’re reading to God. I, on the other hand find it deeply comforting. I’m not quick on my feet, and have not exercised the muscles necessary for extemporaneous prayer, or praying on the spot. Having a book with prayers that reflect my sentiments is comforting, and allows my brain to focus on worship, rather than fretting about words.

I also appreciate a common prayer book because it unites people who otherwise wouldn’t be. In other traditions, I’ve seen leaders who pray a particular bent of politics, or social policies, and the congregation either gets in line behind the leader, or leaves. That’s great if there was any certainty that 1) the leader or their successor would always have the same political bent, or 2) my beliefs matched and were supported by the leader, or 3) I didn’t care about those who didn’t agree, and left.

I much prefer a middle-of-the-road approach that tries to focus on the Gospel, and loving God, while leaving space for both sides of a divided issue to stay in the room. I believe we are stronger when we can stand with our brothers and sisters who disagree with us, united in our love of God and love of neighbor, rather than self-selecting people who agree with me, and standing with them.

After having said all of that, I offer the prayer for our country as an example. There are parts of this prayer that come close to unnerving me, like defend our liberties. But I think my apprehension is simply the result of current political use of liberty, and images it brings to mind.

We pray for wisdom for our leaders. Regardless of what you think of our leaders, don’t they deserve our prayers? If not, aren’t I as bad as others who demonize the people I’m concerned about? The homeless and addicts?

This prayer concludes with something that I think is really important now. It asks for us to remember to be grateful during good times, and in bad times, save us from losing faith.

This morning, I’m thinking about the uniting force in commonly-said, carefully-constructed words. Yes, some of these words and prayers are constructed in syntax and with words we don’t use, like the word beseech. And yes, sometimes I trip over parts with which cause some angst. But I’d rather sit in unity with a community that otherwise wouldn’t be united. I’d rather let common prayers unite.

For our Country

Almighty God, who has given us this good land for our heritage: We humbly beseech you that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of your favor and glad to do your will. Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion us into one united people. Endue with the spirit of wisdom those to whom in your Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to your law, we may show forth your praise among the nations of the earth. In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in you to fail; all which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment