Thursday, May 28, 2020

May 28 2020 Ephesians 4:17-32

Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. 

As we continue to live with this pandemic, we are increasingly socially isolated. Instead of meeting in person, we meet virtually. Instead of worshiping together, we watch a service, or listen to a reflection. And when we are finally able to meet in person, when it’s time to pass the peace at church, we will no longer hug, but we’ll bow or wave. I wonder what impact this has had on our collective lives together, or what lasting impact it will have. 

I’ve heard that it’s easier for people to be nasty, and say mean things on social media, than in person. For some time, I’ve carefully moderated whose voices I listen to, screening out too much negativity. But it seems there’s more of it now. Maybe it’s because we’re socially isolated, and lash out. Maybe it’s because we have the safety of social media. And maybe it’s because there’s really more to be angry and upset about, whether it’s another black man murdered by the police, or the economic impact of the pandemic response. It seems to me now is the time for all of us to be exceedingly careful about what we listen to, and what we expose ourselves to. Regardless of what evil others want to spew, I don’t need to hear it. 

And likewise, I need to be even more vigilant about what comes out of my mouth. I’m not likely to post anything negative, but I can have a sharp tongue, and have said unkind things. There is never a positive outcome from saying negative things. Even if I’m upset with something someone did, I can figure out a way to speak that’s missing all of the petty, gossipy tone. 

This morning, I’m thinking about giving grace to all who hear whatever I say. I want to imagine that my words can build up others; as long as I’m not tearing anyone down, my words can build up others, can give grace to others. If I’ve got a dark cloud in my head or soul, why would I ever need to share that darkness with anyone else? There’s enough of that already in the world. Today, I want to imagine my words give grace to those around me – every time I open my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment