Monday, March 15, 2021

Mar 15 Day 44 Deuteronomy 5:1–8:20


You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.



I’ve heard this bit of scripture a lot. And today, reading it along with the accompanying reflection from Mother Theresa, it’s new. In the reflection, she says that God will not command something impossible, and since we get our love from God, it is a ‘fruit that is in season at all times and within the reason of every hand’. She suggests that anyone can access this unending resource through meditation, prayer, sacrifice, and by an intense inner life. Yes.

Regardless of what’s going on in my home, community, country or world, when I stop and reflect, pray, serve, or rest, I am again filled with a sense of love and a desire to serve in my home, community, country or world. Of course the problem is that I don’t always stop to do these soul-feeding things. After all, I’m too busy to stop. I’m too stressed to pray, or reflect. I’m too sad to serve. These feelings are very real and frequently overcome my deep knowledge that to stop would be to be refreshed. I’m not sure what the secret is to remember that the pause is critical and will absolutely reset my “I’m too . . . .” mind. Maybe it’s as simple as just listening to myself, and whenever I think “I’m too. . . “ that’s a trigger to stop. Maybe it’s just attending to my breath for a few minutes, or reciting a prayer, or taking a silent walk.

In addition to these reflections, Mother Theresa also says that it’s not what we do, or how much we do, but how much love we put in to what we do. It’s the love that accompanies our actions that feeds us, and feeds the recipients of our service and gifts. That’s why, she argues, people who are unable to give or receive love are the poorest of the poor, regardless of their monetary wealth.

This reminds me of a funny story, but one that has some truth in it, especially given Mother Theresa’s thoughts about love and gifts.

My husband had signed up to donate a cherry pie for a charity auction at his office. The night before the auction, as our nine year old daughter getting ready for bed, she remembered the pie, because she was already a fantastic and curious baker. My husband had forgotten, and not planned his evening around making a pie. So he pulled the ingredients out in haste and in frustration, grousing and grumbling as he did. Finally, the pie went in oven. Our daughter looked at my husband and with absolute conviction and seriousness, she said “No one will buy that pie. That pie was made with hate.” I was dumbstruck at her wisdom, even back then.

Of course someone did buy the pie, but she was on to something, and my husband and I both knew it. Love is transmitted in the actions and presents and service shared. Likewise, a lack of love is transmitted too.

This morning, I want to be sure that my actions and service and comments and being is steeped in love, so that love continues on. That’s the way I can love God with my whole heart, soul and might.

1 comment:

  1. I've been pretty busy lately thinking about how busy I am. It doesn't leave much time for anything else. Thank you for bringing me up short!

    ReplyDelete